Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 9: Homely Things

49 this morning, dark clouds and rain threatening. It will be an inside day. Maybe I'll get back to work on my taxes.

Yesterday was just another day in the neighborhood. Larry spent most of the day working on his brick steps project out at the patio. Before he got started I shanghaied him to deal with three light fixtures that we'd had in the booth we closed. We needed to hang them up in the workroom until I can either put them on ebay or get them into another booth--and that will be a while. But first we hung them out on the porch for photos, just in case I decide to list them on ebay. So it was a process--hang, photos, take down, and then cover with plastic bags and re-hang in the workroom. He was a trouper through it all, even though he really, really wanted to get to his bricks.





The antique mall at Marietta called to let us know they were closing, ahead of the anticipated order by the governor. It was not unexpected, as I am sure sales have been virtually non-existent.

Ebay sales continue to be good, however, probably because more people are at home and have more time to shop online. So I spent an hour or two packing and getting things ready to ship.

No photo description available.

This morning I woke up to three more sales, so more packing to do today. Which is fine with me!

I worked on a few stories I've been meaning to edit, too, although I find I  have a hard time concentrating these days. I will walk from one room to another to do something, and forget what it was I wanted to do. Or start on something, then wander off and start something else. Ah me. Maybe this week will feel more normal.

 I didn't make the dinner I'd planned for Saturday as I didn't feel well all day. I felt so tired, and the allergies were no help. Yesterday I was fine again and made a fine dinner with Larry's bluegill, the greens we picked the other day, baked butternut squash and cornbread.

Image may contain: food and indoor

This meal was all foraged or homegrown, except the corn meal for the bread was from a stone-grinding mill here in West Virginia. The creasy greens were delicious, even more tender than spinach. To cook them I first cut up a few pieces of ham--generally people use bacon but it was up in the freezer in the cellartop--, warmed the ham in some olive oil, then added a bag of the greens I'd prepared for the freezer the day before. I added the greens with the liquid and all, then added a little more water, put a lid on the pan, and allowed them to cook until the liquid cooked out.

The day turned cold toward in late afternoon, so we spent the evening reading by the fire.



I'll post what we've been reading in tomorrow's blog. Stay safe, friends, and tell me--what have you been cooking these days?

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. It's raining again here, after several days of sun. Seal a Meal'd all the walleye fillets I brought back from fishing. A neighbor is picking them up today. We had corn beef, red potatoes and cabbage stew one night, and reuben sandwiches the next night. Found a european mkt & Bakery that makes yummy rye bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fire picture. I'm glad your Ebay sales are doing well! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meatloaf/mashed potatoes, vegetable soup/grilled cheese, venison brats/broccoli casserole, venison chili, and whatever else I can scare up. Now that schools are closed, I am glad to take requests for more time consuming meals. Lots of cleaning/organizing going on here, but I am enjoying it. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves creasy greens but I'm not confident in my ability to pick them wild. His grandmother used to make them for him often.

    I have found my first morel of the season & I had it with one egg for breakfast. We don't have chickens so I am having to ration eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost out of soup, so will make more. By the way, I'm excited that I'm going to learn a new word today, thanks to you: what is a cellartop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had fried deer steaks and onions--one of my favorite ways to eat deer meat. The night before, we had veggie soup that I'd frozen from the Family reunion--made for a good meal and great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that you eBay sales are going well, it sounds like they are keeping you busy. I love to read about what people eat around the world and the names they have for their dishes. I also love to hear that people are managing to eat mostly food they have grown, we do our best here but have a small patch of land which will never allow us to be self sufficient, it is giving us a few green leaves and my broccoli is just starting to flower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...