Pages

Monday, July 27, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 131: I Should Have Known

70 this morning, cloudy and humid. Another hot day, temperatures in the high 80's, and now in the evening, thunderstorms. Rain is good.

I should have known, when I posted about being content, that something would happen to change all that. And it did. Two things, actually.

First, my husband was working on the brakes on my van, forgot to bleed out the air and rolled the van into the farm trailer. No one was hurt, thank goodness, except for the poor van, which is pretty beat up down one side now. It's become an official "beater." Sigh. It seems pointless to fix it or turn it in on the insurance since it has over 250,000 miles on it and the insurance company would probably just total it. Poor van. It's been such a trouper. And runs like a top. So we'll fix it good enough to get it through inspection, and let it go at that. Could have been worse. He could have hit the tractor or the garage, so the trailer was at least the least expensive thing he could have hit. And it wasn't hurt a bit.

The second thing isn't so easy. In fact it's absolutely worrisome. My oldest son called today to tell me he tested positive for Covid-19. I was stunned--he lives in a far more rural county than we do, and that's saying something. And he has been taking all the proper precautions, face mask, even a face shield, hand washing, etc. He's made sure everyone at his workplace follow strict guidelines. But his church? Some there didn't wear masks, and now many people in this small country church are sick. My son included. So far his wife and daughter are well; but most of his wife's family are sick. 

So far he's not very sick--a cough, can't smell or taste anything, and just generally feeling bad. Today, he said he felt better. I hope this will be the extent of his illness and that his wife and daughter somehow avoid it. And I can't help feeling angry at those selfish people who won't wear masks, and have now endangered my son and his family. 

So if you have a few extra prayers laying around, please send them up for my son. And for the elderly people from his church who are also sick.

And please, wear your mask. Even if you're a virus deny-er, please do it for others. It's a simple kindness.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, the news about your son must be very troubling indeed - I will keep him and his family in my thoughts, and hope he is soon better and his wife and child remain well. And those poor elderly people...how can a church not require it's member to "do unto others"?
    I am infuriated by the utter selfishness of people who use all sorts of excuses for not wearing a mask. All it comes down to is a complete lack of consideration for others. Shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sorry to hear about your son. As hard as this disease is the vast majority of people who get it do get over it. It's just such a hard thing to endure. I'll be praying it doesn't spread through his family.

    This is the reason we have not been to church since February. We are/were Sunday school teachers & we still didn't go back. We actually decided to resign from our class this past week because school will be starting & they want to start Sunday school (we taught children). But we decided we will not go back until masks are no longer required/recommended.

    I understand your anger too. I've felt frustration for the same reason....I'm sure it would turn to anger if someone I know & love caught it because people won't wear masks. I was very relieved when our governor finally required masks everywhere a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...