Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Covid Journal, Days 117-118: Firepit Time, and Finally Rain

70 this morning and cloudy. Rain started just after 10, and lasted about an hour. Still not nearly enough but we and the plants are so grateful.

Since we (finally) had some rain we decided that today it was time to do some inside work. We were lucky enough to have breakfast on the deck before the rain. It was cool and breezy, a perfect start to the day.



Yesterday was booth work, restocking our Marietta booth. We took the leisurely way home, along the Ohio River. It was such a pretty drive. When we got home, we decided to cook out. We cooked squash, zucchini, and onions in foil on the grill, with butter and seasoned salt, and Larry grilled a couple chicken breasts while I cooked new potatoes and dressed them with butter and parsley. Dinner on the deck in the cool of the evening was just delightful. We finished up the day with a fire in the firepit, and stayed out talking until pretty late. It was a good, restful day, and much needed.




Today Larry has been working on finishing up the area behind the new fridge. There was a gas line still there from when we had the gas refrigerator, a hole in the drywall, and a few other issues. He's almost finished. It won't be perfect, but much better. He also took the dryer apart and cleaned out the dust from around the fan and vent. Both jobs required much mess but that's how it goes.

I cleaned. Sweeping thoroughly, mopping the floors, washing rugs, changing the bedsheets, etc. All unexciting work, but this was a good day to get it done. Then I priced items for the booths, and now I'm packing ebay. Such an exciting life we live these days!

But you know, it's okay that this is what we're doing now. I miss traveling and seeing family and friends, and we had planned a trip to Ireland and maybe Scotland this September, so there's that disappointment. My storytelling calendar was rapidly filling for the year, faster than it ever has, so that was pretty cool too. But now our days seem to be food-and-home-centered. Gardens and cooking take up most of our time, and it seems that food has become the most important thing to occupy our time--growing it, cooking it, putting it up for winter, and tracking down items we can't grow. I would bet we're not alone in this.

And speaking of food, we found a local source for fresh milk! I am so excited. I have been looking for someone who would sell us milk for years. We had milk goats and then milk cows for about 10 years, and I miss that good milk. So this week we'll be going to meet the farmer and buy a "share" in his herd, which will entitle us to a gallon of milk a week; we can get more if we want to buy it for a slightly higher price. The share is $30; then we pay $25 a month for the milk, plus about $6.75 a gallon for any extra we need. I think I have all that correct. It isn't cheap, certainly. But I think it will be worth the expense. And it's Jersey milk, so we'll even be able to make butter if we want. I'l post more after we visit the farm and make sure this is what we want to do.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds expensive milk, but we've got used to the ridiculously low prices charged by our supermarkets (and even my village shop). I think it's what they call a loss-leader; you certainly wouldn't be able to produce it at those prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound spendy but it's the best and it's organic, I assume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hope you like the milk and the whole arrangement works out well for you! I used to buy milk from a Jersey farm that was an hour away but just a few miles from my last commuting job. It was lovely milk!. Now I have to buy organic from the grocery store (when they have it these days) and only after reading a research article about which "certified organic" milk products are really (probably) organically produced. Only one brand I've seen in MA was on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting news -- Jersey milk! Hope that works out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...