Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 141: A Day to Catch Up

66 and light showers this morning, but becoming sunny and humid. Still, the temperatures are much better these days, and no AC needed at night.

After two days of tomatoes, we're resting a little bit today, just trying to catch up. We ended up with  80 quarts of tomato juice, which will be enough for this year, I think. Any more tomatoes will become pasta sauce, as we can always use that.



Our friend came to pick up the Sellers cabinet yesterday and brought her 9 year-old son with her. What a delight. He was curious about everything, pronounced our house the "coolest house" he's ever been to. He checked for eggs several times while he was here, and wanted to help make tomato juice because he was very interested in how we did it. So we went ahead and made juice, with help from Riley and his mother. So much fun, and a reminder of the days when our grandchildren were here and helping. 

Riley wanted to help pick vegetables in the garden, too, and to taste fruitcake. Longtime readers here know we make fruitcake with my sisters every year, and I still have a few from last year, so we broke one out. Riley said it was delicious, and wanted his mother to try it. She doesn't like fruitcake usually,but this one might have changed her mind. 

Of course Riley had to try the tomato juice too, even though it was still hot. He tasted, thought, added salt and pepper and pronounced it excellent. I usually don't add a lot of salt or pepper when I make the juice, but after tasting his concoction I upped my amounts of both, plus more Worchestershire sauce and hot sauce. Delicious. 

It took until almost dark to clean up and put everything away. Today we did a bit more cleanup, and then Larry has been mowing grass while I clean house, do laundry and pack ebay sales. Life is back to something like normal--and we have rows and rows of beautiful tomato juice in the cellar. 

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like Riley really enjoyed his time with you. You do have a cool house!
    Tomato juice always comes in handy. My tomatoes haven't produced that well, so no extras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ripe tomatoes here, yet. Do you use a tomato mill or a juicer? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big day for Riley!
    You've reminded me of the first time I ever tasted tomato juice - I was really little, and for some reason I was by myself at a neighbor's house, which was unusual in my childhood. I was given a small glass (which was decorated, probably a juice glass painted with oranges or such) of cold, salty tomato juice and thought it was about the best thing I'd ever tasted. Goodness, I can taste it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing much the same over here in S W France. I still have more to do, but we already have a good supply of sauces, ratatouille, and juice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riley won't forget meeting you. Nice to let him participate in the process to learn how it's done.
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...