Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 147: Flat, and Some Cool Finds

70 this morning, humid as can be. It got up to about 90, but now it's clouding up so maybe there's a shower coming our way. I can hope.

I've been working at the antique mall the past two days, re-doing a table I painted. The table had two issues: first, a stain came up through the paint and second, I had not painted the legs because I thought they looked great in their original finish. Apparently I was alone in that thought! So back to the paint. After sanding, shellac on the stain, re-painting and waxing the top and painting and waxing the legs, it looks fine. A lot of work, and the price is still the same. Sheesh. But I am more satisfied with it, and that's important.

We had a couple more big things to bring in, so Larry came over with them later, in the truck. Boy was I glad to see him, because my van had a flat tire. It was low when I got to the mall, and within minutes it was flat as could be. Larry showed up and had the little air compressor with him, so he could pump up the flat a little and get the van to a safe place to change the tire. Hot as it was, he just got in there and did it. One reason I love my man. The lady who owns the bakery at the corner brought him a cold water, such a thoughtful thing to do.

When we got back home, we were both flat-out tired. He went in and took a nap, and I listed things on ebay. Here's one thing I listed today:



This is a huge Blenko Glass pitcher, apparently only made for one year, 1970. I bought it at the mall today. It won't sell fast, probably, so i can enjoy it for a while until I have to send it on its way.

A  few other things I listed today:


I bought this compote at the Marietta mall, thinking it was Early American Pattern Glass, which I would add to my collection. I could not find an ID for it, and finally asked on one of the Facebook glass groups. A member identified it for me as a Cambridge piece, made in 1916. So not pattern glass as it's not within the right timeframe, so I decided to sell it.



Then there are these abalone shell plates. I've had a hard time finding information on them, but as best I've been able to learn these were a mid-century thing, possibly for serving caviar and other seafood. There are two on ebay for 99.00 for the pair, amazingly. I bought the lot for 1.99, so I listed the 8 pieces for 99.00 or best offer. We shall see what happens there.



I listed a couple crystal pieces too, one Rogaska glass and one Waterford cream pitcher.. Learning how to find the very tiny maker's marks on crystal has helped hugely in identifying good pieces, but of course not all of it is marked. Thankfully, these two were.



M.A. Hadley is a pottery maker in Kentucky with a very distinctive style. Every now and then I find pieces of her pottery, like these three plates.



It took me a while to identify this goblet-like piece, and finally I again went to a glass group on Facebook for help. A member who is quite a glass expert identified it for me as L.E. Smith Glass, and it is not a goblet, but a jam stand. That, I would never have guessed. I had hoped it was pattern glass but it's from the 60's-70's era, so it went on ebay.

Identifying glass and the other interesting things I pick up is really a fascinating hobby, but quite time-consuming as you can imagine. I guess it appeals to the research librarian in me, and also to the side of my that loves puzzles. I find it relaxing, something to do when I just need to sit and rest for a while. The only downside is that a lot of beautiful glass ends up coming to live here, and I am constantly having to decide what stays and what has to be sold. But it's a good problem to have.

Monday the van goes to the shop to get the front end aligned and maybe a new tie-rod---there goes money. And new tires. Ah me. Money in, money out. The name of the game, right?


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. Those abalone plates are really something! I'm imagining a nice cold shrimp salad served in one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! or a crab salad, or tuna or...but I've listed them for sale because I know I do not need them. Insert sad face here.

      Delete
  2. The waterford cream pitcher is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've regretted not keeping all of the Waterford I've found over the years. It is so beautiful. And the sparkle when it's in the sun!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...