Pages

Monday, September 28, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 190: Pepper Jelly, and Dog Food

65 this morning, warm and partly sunny. Rain in the forecast for tonight. I'm praying it happens.

Today was pepper jelly day. I have never made pepper jelly, although it's always been on my to-do list. I was determined to give it a go this year.



I had to buy red pepper because Larry will not leave the peppers on the vines to turn red. He gets too anxious to pick them. I also had to buy a few jalapenos because I didn't grow them. Note to self for next year: grow jalapenos, because they are in several recipes I'd like to try.

The jelly is really easy to make, but finding a recipe that gave actual quantities and clear instructions took a while. I finally found one at SideChef.com that was clear and easy to follow. Since pectin has been hard to find locally, I ordered some natural pectin online last month on Amazon, called Dutch-Jell. And wonder of wonders, our local grocery store had half-pint jars today, so I was all set.  

The first batch has not yet set up in the jars, but it did so on the cold plate I had in the freezer to test it, so I'm hopeful. Just to be safe, I added 2 more tablespoons of the pectin to the second batch and it has set very well. Dutch-Jell recommends adding more if you're using high-moisture fruit. While peppers aren't high moisture, the addition of the apple cider vinegar made me think more pectin might be in order. The jelly is so pretty--the photo doesn't show it, but there are flecks of red and green in there. Some people add food coloring, or use all red or all green peppers, but I like this golden, color-flecked version.

I ended up with 13 half-pints. Some will be gifts, and I have no doubt that we'll have no trouble taking care of the rest. It really is delicious. Most people mix it with cream cheese and spread on crackers. It's also good on any pork, and I think it might go well in Chinese dishes and on chicken.

About dog food. Our poor old boy Otis can no longer eat dry dog food so I've been cooking for him the last few weeks. I cook rice and vegetables in chicken broth, sometimes adding chicken, other times mixing in canned dog food. I never thought that this is something I'd have to do, but here I am. The poor old fella must eat, and this is what he can manage. I'm thinking to add in some vitamins, or ??? Do any of you make food for your dog? What do you make? I have to admit, this is an unexpected expense, but sometimes we just don't have a choice, do we. I'd like to hear your suggestions. 


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I made hot pepper jelly this weekend as well! I'm going to check your recipe and see if I like it better. Poor Otis... sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds thinking alike. I looked at a lot of recipes before settling on this one. Thanks for the hugs. I think our old boy won't be with us much longer. So he's getting all the coddling he needs.

      Delete
  2. Pepper jelly is so tasty, I used to make a lot of it. Now I have a friend that makes batches of it and always sends me enough to get me through the winter. Only thing I have to do is return jars.
    Another friend makes it and sells it at $7.50 for the quarter pint size. She sells out fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great friend. I'm planning to send this as Christmas gifts, along with a few other things. No shopping for me this year unless it's online.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...