Pages

Monday, October 19, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 211: Golden Days

55 this morning with light showers. We've had a week of good weather, some days quite warm, and here and there some light rain. It's been the prettiest fall I can remember in years. No killing frost here yet, although there have been patches here and there that did no damage.

We are creeping through fall, although it seems like the days literally zoom by. Each day I think of things I want to post, but by evening I am too tired to think of words to write. We have been busy as usual, the past week with furniture projects rather than food preservation, and also with a couple buying trips for new stock. Which, of course, has added to furniture projects. As if we didn't already have enough! Gluttons for punishment is all I can say.

But the trees and the land have been glorious sights for the eyes. 






I've done a little Halloween decorating; these two pieces are new to me. The mercury glass egg is a yard sale find, the bird skeleton is from the Dollar Tree.


A bit more on the porch, all thrift and yard sale finds, except Great Aunt Eva's teapot. One day I have to write more about my ex-husband's Great Aunt Eva, if I haven't done so already. She was quite a character.

This is one of my projects last week. I had such fun making this one pretty again.



This note was attached to the underside of the table. It says that the table was made in the West High School, Akron Ohio, Industrial Arts Dept, by student Donald Jones on January 22, 1950. That's a year before I was born. 


Another project, and this one took some time, as you can imagine. 



And here it is, finished and in the booth. We took several things to our booth, and good thing we did because a lady was there buying two tables and a chair when we came in the door. She told me she's bought several things from my booth, and loves my work. She just made my day.


Larry has picked the rest of the peppers, and also brought in the last roses. And a geranium bloom, which he thought was a rose. It's certainly just as pretty.




Yet another project that is underway. This table is solid oak, but has been outside in the weather for quite a while. We decided to flip the top boards--not thinking that they'd have screw holes on the underside. Geesh. What idiots. So I have come up with a plan to put little nail studs in the holes, which I think will add to its primitive look. I hope. The top side had some places just beginning to show rot on the surface, which is why we opted to flip it. The underside is lovely--except for those holes. I don't want to paint the top, but the base will be painted.


Another project we picked up this week. This one's finish is not in good shape. It's scratched and stained and faded in places. So, sanding was in order.


And look what I found under the stain. This one will have a new stain applied, lighter than the old stain, on the top and drawers, which also sanded beautifully. The cabinet will be painted. I will probably use the blue paint and dark wax I used on two other pieces that sold very quickly.


And here's the oak table in process. This one is going to take some work, but I hope it will be beautiful in the end.

I have taken time out to read--I started and finished How to Get Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward. It was a great, easy read, in that same style so many books seem to be written in lately--switching between characters and sometimes time periods, but not difficult to follow. I gave up on The Overstory, about 3/4 of the way through. I could see that the ending wasn't going to be good, and just wasn't in the mood for that. It's beautifully written, however, great character development and fascinating background information about trees. 

And watching. In the evenings I make myself stop work about 8pm, take a shower and either read or watch a movie. 


This week I've been watching The Irish R.M. and it's fantastic. It's hilarious, full of Irish wit, great scenery, some good music, and just plain fun. I worried after the first couple episodes about how the Irish reacted to this TV series from the 1970's. Would they find the story, set in 1897 to about 1905 or so, of an English resident magistrate in the deep Irish countryside amusing, or see it as a put-down of the Irish people? I asked my friend Carmel who lives in Sligo, and she assured me the Irish loved the humor. And as I watched the series unfold, I saw what she meant. That poor R.M. had quite a run for his money. I highly recommend it. 

Well, back to work. Those peppers are still waiting on me, so today is their day.




















Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. Here in central KY, we had a hard frost this past weekend. I admire all of your efforts with sanding the furniture. That is one chore that I really, really dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that oak table will be beautiful when you are finished with it. It's probably thanking you for a new life!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...