Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Covid Journal, Day 338: Wild Thoughts, and Soup

17 this morning and overcast. There was another covering of snow overnight, about a half inch or more. Today it has varied from clouds to sun to snowing and back again. Tonight single-digit temperatures are expected.

The view today has often been magical. The sun reflects on the ice that is still clinging to trees and buildings, then soft feathery flakes start flying as the sun is covered with clouds--and sometimes it snows while the sun is shining, like  lit up snowglobe. But still very cold, as it hasn't gotten above 27 all day.

The wildlife around here continues to move around, regardless of the weather. The deer have scartched out places nearby, digging down to the green grass under the snow. Rabbit tracks can be seen, and we've spotted the occasional squirrel running on top of the snow. Larry spotted three deer going under some snow-laden brush; an opening in the front made the brush a temporary cave, and I imagine the deer's body heat might make it fairly snug. Coyotes howl at night from the forest around us,probably snuggled in caves or under overhanging rock cliffs, and their songs keep my dogs uneasy and growly when they go outside. Because of course the dogs and the cat have been in the house most of the time during this weather, only going out for short periods of time.

The other night I sat up reading a while after Larry went to bed. It was so quiet, just the crackle of the fire, when just outside the log room a Great Horned Owl called. Another moment of magic. I listened closely to see if he would call again, but instead two large branches crashed from the big maple, making me and the dogs jump in surprise. Fortunately the limbs missed the house, again. I suppose the ruckus scared off our owl visitor, daggone it. 

Yesterday was the perfect day for soup, and I settled on making lentil soup. Have you ever had it? It's one of my longtime favorites. I learned to make it back in my long-ago vegetarian days, and made it and another lentil recipe called Very Brown Rice so often that my grown sons refuse to eat lentils to this day. A pity, because lentils are so tasty, and so good for us. I have never been able to find a copy of this recipe since. Maybe a good thing?


Lentil soup is easy to make. Just water, lentils, onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, Worchestershire sauce, garlic, a little red pepper, salt, black pepper, some bay leaves--and a hambone or, since I didn't have one this time, a big slice of ham cubed up and added to the pot. Quantities can vary according to taste and what's available. Delicious, easy and hearty for this winter weather. We had it with my homemade honey-oatmeal bread last night, and I froze the leftover soup in foodsaver bags for easy meals later on when we might not have time to cook.

Today I'm mostly nursing my foot. For some reason the Morton's neuroma on my right foot has flared up, causing me a lot of trouble and pain walking. The neuroma is nerve damage, and usually I can deal with it by wearing different shoes, but I guess I stood too long in one place or something and it's swelled up now. I guess a call to the doctor and perhaps a visit to a podiatrist is in order, since I cannot seem to find a pair of shoes comfortable enough these days. Just another of the joys of aging, right? At least it's given me time to read my current book, Commonwealth, by Ann Padgett, which I am finding to be excellent reading.

As I write I am listening to owl sounds on YouTube, and realizing how many of them I have heard around here at diferent times, without knowing what I was hearing. Fascinating. Here is the one I heard the other night. 





Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your foot heals (oh dear, a great pun with heels). And that the owls come back. I have lots of potatoes, so potato soup is for my next fun venture after I finish eating the veggie soup from this last week,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a lot of lentil soup, sometimes with a little sausage added. Recently one of my favorite YT cooks made lentil soup and added a squirt of lemon juice before serving - I'm going to try that next time. And since it's snowing hard again today, it won't be long before I start the next pot of soup.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...