Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Covid Journal, Day 356: Biscuit Jars

41 and clear once again. A beautiful day, temps in the 60s, sun and a few clouds. 

Do you own any biscuit jars?

Truthfully, I'd never heard of biscuit jars until I got into old glass. I came upon a jar at an auction that I absolutely loved. The pattern was beveled squares that caught the light like prisms and I was entranced. I later learned that it was a biscuit jar, circa 1889, made by George Duncan and Sons in Pittsburgh. It was one of my first Early American Pattern Glass pieces, and still one of my favorites.



What is a biscuit jar? Well, here in the US we call them cookie jars, although from what I have seen biscuit jars tend to be a bit smaller than our cookie jars, generally. The jars seem to have originated in Britain in the 18th century, and surprisingly didn't really become popular in the US until much later.

In the UK, a biscuit is what we call a cookie--a sweetened round often served with tea. The early jars were glass with a metal lid, and were sometimes called biscuit barrels because of their shape. As time passed, the jars became highly decorated. In the US, ceramic jars came into use during the Depression--stoneware, often, and decorated with flower motifs.


One of my cookie jars, circa 1930's. From the home of my former husband's great aunt, a lady I loved dearly, and whose kitchen began my lifelong love of vintage kitchens.

Since that first biscuit jar, I've collected a few others. 

The two here, with the handles, are milk glass. The one in the back is a newer reproduction; the one in front right is old, I believe.  No clue as to the maker, as it's unmarked.


Although this was listed as "antique" on eBay, I'm pretty sure it's fairly new, but so pretty and spring-like.

A made-in-Japan jar, a recent addition.


And two more made-in-Japan jars that I just love, and use regularly.



Somewhere packed away is another favorite, an EAPG piece by Consolidated Glass company, circa 1895, called Florette. I have one like the one in the center of this photo from The Early American Pattern Glass Society website-- photo by Don Plank, an expert and amazing collector of this antique glass. 


Do you have any biscuit jars at your house? Any favorite ones, or stories about favorite cookie/biscuit jars?

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...