Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2021

More Spring Flowers

49 and cloudy, after a day and night of wonderful rain at last.

I am so grateful for the rain of the past 24 hours. I know it probably ruined some plans but we needed it badly. I'll have to get out and weed as soon as I can, because this is sure to make them jump out of the ground.

I snapped a few more flower photos as we were on our way out to the yard sales yesterday. The sales weren't so good with the rain, but the flowers were just fine.

First, my new garden sign. Sage advice, my friends.


I was at the wrong angle for this photo of the rambling rose by the driveway. This, as I recall, was supposed to be a tea rose, but here we are, bright red and rambling.


I call these Japanese iris, but I wonder if that's the right name for them? I can't remember where I got them but they were given to me years ago and have spread well.


The red spirea looks like it will be beautiful this year. I gave it quite a haircut last year and I think that helped it immensely.


This little pink rose bush is about 40 years old. It doesn't bloom like it used to but it hangs in there.


I am not sure how these peonies ended up here, but I am pretty sure I didn't plant them there. And of course, they're the best ones I have.


Lemon balm makes itself at home anywhere. I have to watch that it doesn't take over my gardens because it would be happy to do so.


I've waited three years for a bloom on this peony. It's just gorgeous--and of course I have it planted in the wrong place because it is reaching for the sun. So I guess I need to move it but I hate to take the chance of losing it.


The last of the tomato and pepper plants waiting to be put out in the garden. A pity we didn't get them in before the rain, but it was so very hot and dry I was afraid they'd die even if we watered them.


Some new little shrub roses, called drift roses. The photo doesn't do them justice. They are all sorts of shades of pink, peach and yellow, just beautiful. I planted these last August, I think.


A view of the Japanese iris and the peonies behind them. 


A close-up of a red rambler that used to be the prettiest pink tea rose. The grafted dose died back, and ta-da, we suddenly have a red rose.


Another poor photo of a pink rose, planted  years ago. I need to find a way to get better photos of pink flowers. 


There are still more things in bloom. I'll be grabbing more photos soon.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. You are quite ahead of us here. Your flowers look lovely. I can understand about waiting three years for a peony. I have one that I think it planted in the perfect spot and all I get is one bloom a year! You are making me want to buy some roses! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the dreary winter, it is so wonderful to have bright colors everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it rained as well! I know some plans had to change but not having rain and the hot weather really puts a hurting on the gardens. Your gardens are looking so pretty. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely flowers! Another great post from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...