Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Soup and Ice


22 this morning but warmed up now to about 30. Overcast. We had more light snow yesterday afternoon.

We are still snowed in, but busy as can be. The tractor wouldn't start, of course. Diesels are so finicky in cold weather.  But our son came over and helped start it just now so maybe Larry can clear our road. We shall see. Tbe snow is quite deep, about 11 inches now, and it's a heavy wet snow so will not be easy to shift.




Meanwhile, inspired by Sue at A Simpler Life blog, I decided to clean out the veggie drawers in the fridge.  Amazing what was in there: cherry tomatoes, part of a head of cabbage from New Years,  part of a cauliflower from Christmas, wilted celery, the last of our leeks except a few still in the garden,  an onion.  I added some potatoes, and some squash and carrots from the freezer along with bay leaves, garlic, Worchestershire sauce, beef bullion, salt, black and red pepper. It's already smelling delicious. I think I will puree this like the Irish soups we had overseas.



My house is absolutely littered right now with furniture projects and stuff to go to our booths. I suppose it's a good thing but I am feeling claustrophobic! These two long tables are done and ready to go as soon as we can get out.


Then there are these, along with things to price, dropcloths etc in the log room. I cannot wait to get these done and get my room back again. The workroom where I usually paint is taken up with a piece Larry has been working on and of course all the furniture in line to be worked on. It's a struggle to keep it all under control, I can tell you.

Ebay sales have been good too, perhaps because people are snowed in? But getting packages to the mailbox is next to impossible without the road being cleared. Fortunately Larry and Derek got the tractor going as I was writing this post and Larry has already got to work on clearing the snow.

So onward we go. I have no need to go out and the State hasn't yet plowed our ridge road which Derek reported as being very slick so home is the best place to be, for sure.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. I'd completely forgotten about the difficulties of starting tractors on cold days: some of that soup would be welcome after tackling a job like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our old gas tractor always started right up. Diesel is apparently a different game. I'm not a fan, but Larry loves this tractor.

      Delete
  2. David plugs our tractor in for a bit before he tries to start it. Cold weather thickens the diesel fuel or something, so the fuel doesn't get to where it needs to go. Thank goodness we have a tractor, though. There was a lot of snow to be moved--the wind didn't help--it drifted across what was already cleared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to get one of those plug-in heaters, Judy. That would be a big help. As soon as we go out again, LOL. Derek knew a couple tricks he learned in Germany to get it started, thank goodness.

      Delete
  3. I have been eating soup nearly every day this week. I do love soup at this time of year. You pan of soup looks amazing. Glad to hear you are doing ok in the snow

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...