Pages

Monday, September 19, 2022

Catching up on the Weekend

67 this morning and overcast. A surprise rain shower this morning was very welcome.

We continue to be in a long dry spell, almost 2 weeks without rain. But the dew in the mornings, and occasional fog has kept the gardens going. I have done a little watering of new plants but the rest are fending for themselves. I am talking about the flower gardens here--the vegetable garden, or what's left out there, is fine since it is mulched. The mulch worked against us this summer with all the rain, as it kept some areas way too wet. Gardens are always a juggling act, aren't they.

Friday I worked on my booths at the one antique mall, and did some errands while I was out. It is funny how running in and out of stores tires me so. At Walmart, I needed one thing from one side of the store, and needed to get milk too, which was clear over on the other side of our "super" Walmart. I walked out without milk as the trek was beyond me, I was that tired. Of course, before leaving for the antique mall I had done a good bit of garden work, so I was tired when I left home. Then 3 hours at the mall, unpacking, pricing, rearranging,  etc before going to the stores pretty much finished me.


Saturday I was up early for a day with my friend Leah. We had been trying to find a day we could go to the Shade Winery together. Larry and I went there a year ago and loved it, and a friend had given me a gift certificate that was languishing in my wallet. So off we went, drving down first to Point Pleasant to see how the Mothman Festival was going. If you haven't heard of Mothman, here's a link to one of my posts about it. 

Well, judging by the crowds streaming into Point Pleasant, I would say the festival was  a huge success. I was so happy to see it, because Point is one of those small towns off the beaten path that struggles economically. It took the vision and determination of one man to get past local prejudices about the paranormal and make the festival happen, and this year definitely put that quirky event on the map.

We didn't stop in Point, though. It was hot and parking was a looooong way from downtown.  So we went on, across the river to Gallipolis, Ohio, where I wanted to show Leah the memorial to the victims of the Yellow Fever steamboat...a strange story indeed! Who would ever think that people this far north could contract yellow fever? Read about it here

Then we headed north to the winery, stopping at a few yard sales along the way. Our lunch was absolutely superb. The appetizer was something I am going to try to duplicate: Flatbread spread with a smoky barbecue sauce and topped with smoked sausage slices, goat cheese, some other cheese, pineapple, green onion bits, and goat cheese. So simple and so flavorful. That and the foccaccio with a zesty olive oil dip, filled me up, so I took the amazing BLT I had ordered home with me. That meal, along with the Chardonnay that was even better than I remembered it, was well worth the wait.

We wandered around Athens, Ohio a bit and plan to return sometime to express more. I have wanted to spend some time in that town for a while but Larry had no interest in it, and isn't it more fun to do things like that with someone else? We saw White's Mill but were tired and decided that will be a definite stop on our next trip. I came home tired and happy from a very good day, and a needed change of pace.

Yesterday and today I have been doing home stuff, as I call it, cleaning, laundry,  and work in the flower gardens. And painting. Here are some of the projects I am working on.

This Mission style desk is done, but finding a chair to go with it is not so easy, as the kneehole is smaller than the width of most chairs. So the hunt continues. This is actually the back side of the desk; there is a center drawer on the other side.

All those things on top were found over the weekend. A closer look at some of it:

Teapots! I am such an addict of them. But I probably will not keep these, much as I like them.


Sweet little demitasse cups and saucers, and a china toast rack.  Very English, that.


An Early American Pattern Glass pitcher by Riverside Glass of Wellsburg, WV, made in 1907, in tbe pattern known as Victoria.


I am not sure what this pretty ribbon piece is for, but it was too pretty to resist.


A small pastry stand, cute little angel, aluminum shaker, mini lamp, and horsehead bottle opener all seem to be of the same "cottage" style. Guess I was feeling cozy when I was shopping.



Back to the paint projects! I found this shelf on our trek Saturday. All I did to it was distress it and wax with dark wax. I believe it is already sold. The pair of lamps were $3.00 for the pair! I will paint them white, replace the missing harp and give them red toile shades and new finials.


Have I posted photos of this table before? I can't remember! All the top needs now is distressing the white part, and wax. Here are the legs; they need the same things done.

And the top:


What's slowing me down are the chairs. They take a lot of time, and three coats of paint each. There are 4 of them, and I also have to cover the seats with new fabric. I am hoping to finish the whole set this week. We shall see!












Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...