Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Cherries in January, Flowers from Colombia

34 this morning and pouring rain. The rain gave way to sunshine and some very interesting clouds, and now at nearly 11pm the wind is howling and it feels quite cold. A wild weather day. But no snow, sadly. I assume other locations north and east of us got that gift. Last night's moon, however, was beautiful. 



We were out most of today, leaving at noon after Larry retrieved our bad Buddy yet again. At least we now have a tag on him with our phone number. We are still waiting on the electronic fence to arrive. Buddy was very happy at our neighbors' house, three miles away! They have 3 daughters who of course just loved Buddy.

So we were a bit later leaving than planned but still managed to do all the things we needed to do. First stop was to drop off all the stuff I had cleaned out of my ebay room to another reseller. We had a great visit and I hope I will get a bit of cash back as he sells what he can of my stuff. He gives me50% which works for me.

Second stop was to drop off Christmas blow molds to a couple who were at the antique mall yesterday. They bought what we had at the store and asked if I had more. I did, at home---a Virginia Mary and Baby Jesus, donkey, cow, and a camel. Since we had planned to be driving through their town (Elizabeth) today, we agreed to drop the blow molds off. This man told us he has about 70 pieces that he puts in his yard every Christmas,  and adds more every year. And his friend who was visiting had even more!

After leaving them we drove on to Mineral Wells to buy paint for our kitchen at Lowe's.  That is a dangerous store! So many interesting things there, and things we need. Ourvwallet was a lot lighter when we left, but we got some things that we have needed for several projects so I don't feel too badly.

Then we went on to Aldi's, where we did our monthly stocking up on produce, cheese, and sundries.  Wallet lighter still, but prices are so much cheaper than at our local stores.

I have to say, I was surprised to see that they had cherries, the black sweet ones. In January! 




It felt like decadence to buy them, but I do love cherries. I also bought a bouquet of flowers, and was surprised to see that they were from Colombia.


Which got me to wondering about how the world uses its resources. The flowers were undoubtedly flown in, and probably the cherries too. So airline fuel and other costs to the environment were expended just so that I could have cherries and flowers out of season. In a way, it makes me feel terribly spoiled, and also guilty. Yet isn't it better for Colombia to export flowers rather than drugs? Is this one way the country is fighting its past? Or is that (probably) too simplistic a way to think about this strange global economy that continues to get stranger and more interconnected every year?

I don't know. I am enjoying the bright beauty of flowers tonight, and the sweet tang of the cherries. And waiting in the fridge is a watermelon. I am almost afraid to see where it came from.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.


7 comments:

  1. I think about shipping too — apples from NZ, bananas form South America, oranges from Israel etc. Our ancestors did preserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did. I put up a lot of preserves--applesauce, peaches when we get a crop, pears. And freeze cherries, blackberries, and blueberries. Also make jams. But sometimes I just want fresh, and yesterday I guess the urge was on me as I came home with grapes, cherries, apples, oranges, and bananas. But still better than donuts, cookies and such. Our ancestors often didn't have long lives, and I think that might be partially due to their diet. Not that they could have done any different; different times and opportunities.

      Delete
  2. Cherries are addicting to me. I love them but I haven't bought any in years. When we shop, we only buy food that doesn't come in plastic, like the punnets. It was hard at first but after a few years we are used to it. The flowers are very pretty to see even if they came from Columbia. We can do only so much to limit the things we buy. Even here, we try to buy local and if not than EU.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave in this time--normally I would not splurge on cherries this far out of season.

      Delete
  3. Glad you mentioned Aldy's - I need to take a trip there too. I love cherries...they look so good. With very little appetite for the last couple of weeks, while feeling kind of withdrawn, I've found a new love. Carrot Juice! It's pretty expensive compared to orange juice. And I dare say not even available everywhere. So I treat it like a cocktail, and feel very indulgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get to Aldi's very often as it's about 40 miles away. But oh my, the cheeses. English, Irish, cranberry...I am afraid I splurged there too. I rationalize by telling myself it will last a good while, we don't go out to eat at fancy places, etc. Tonight, a charcuterie board, I think, with veggies, cheese and crackers. No meat though :/ I don't buy deli meats.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy those cherries! If I could grow one kind of fruit tree, it would be sweet cherries. I just love them. Forty or even twenty years ago I couldn't afford to buy and plant trees, and although I still think about it every year, now it just seems too late to be making an orchard. I'm with you on the Aldi's, by the way... there's one not far from my farthest-way doctor and feed store, so a few times/year I get a chance to stock up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...