Pages

Friday, May 12, 2023

Just Thinking

60 and cloudy today after a hot sunny day yesterday. I can hear the highway 4 miles away, which usually means rain is on the way. The peonies are beginning to bloom. This one is my favorite, new in the garden last summer. 



 
We had a good visit with our granddaughter.  She arrived at dinnertime, just in time for pork chops in gravy, baked potatoes, salad and asparagus fresh from the garden, and cobbler made from last year's frozen cherries.  Grace helped pick the lettuce, and remarked that it was the first time she had seen how radishes grow. 

Isn't it funny the things we take for granted, like pulling radishes? Larry and I were talking the other day about how few people really know much about the plants around them, or about wild edibles, or how to grow their own food. On the radio tbd other day a lady was explaining to the shows host about the different sound hens make when one lays an egg. The host was astonished...and so was I, that it needed describing. I take that happy squawking for granted, and I suppose I thought people knew about that. 

On the train last weekend I noted various wildflowers we were seeing along the way---wilf geranium, buttercup, wood sorrel,  a lady's slipper, valerian, and others. I don't know latin names for them,  as some of my friends do, but I  knew many of the plants by their common names. 

Interest in the natural world took a jump during the pandemic, as more people discovered the pleasure of being outside. Do you think this interest will wain, or will younger generations want to know about plants, the names of trees and birds? 

I have seen, as I am sure you have too, many more gardens being planted and this year more people getting chickens. It gives me hope that the old ways are not yet dead. But if food prices go down again, will people give up on the work of raising their own? I have to admit, I snicker at some of the very urban and fancy coops for sale! Some posh chickens! The same for gardens with all the raised beds, trellises,  etc, although I think some of this will certainly make gardening easier, if more costly.  

I suppose time will tell if these trends continue. For us, it will remain the same as it has for the past 50 years. Our old ways have become new, and in some cases, new-fangled ways.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. I sure hope more people are growing their own veggies. We've (I've) become used to having exotic fruits (think nectarines, pinneaples) that I could certainly live without at the prices we have. My last dozen eggs at the grocery store were $6.39. And organic, free range at that. I have heard they are going down. People who sell their own eggs are asking $6/dozen also. But they get plenty for themselves for the cost of feeding the chickens. I wish I could think of a good joke about chicken feed here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That peony does look like a winner. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...