Pages

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Good Times, Sad Times, Peace

48, overcast, but some sun later.

After a good day's work yesterday, we all gathered at Sarah's cabin for a campfire dinner. Foil-wrapped veggies and sausage, seasoned to perfection and tossed in the fire to cook--so good!
We stayed around the fire, talking and laughing. What good memories these days will be.


Oh and yes that might be a bloody towel on Sarah's hand. She cut her finger while prepping veggies, but between Derek's first aid kit and Tommy's good attentions, it was well taken care of.

Grandson James with Sarah's dog Glen.

Haley, Sarah, Tommy.

Poppa Larry and James.

Granny just wouldn't stay still for a picture,  Haley tells me!


Sons Aaron, Derek, and granddaughter Sarah.

My "boys". Having 2 out of 4 here at one time makes me so happy. 



Sadly, though, our old black lab Otis finally went to rest this morning. We have been expecting this for some time, but still it is not easy. At 15, he had a good long life, and we will miss him. I so wish our pets would live as long as we do. Poor Daisy, our yellow lab, is grieving; she even turned away from bacon. Poor girl.  

This is Otis as a young pup, back in 2010. What a funny, good boy he was.


I also got news of the death of a friend, Larry Staats. Larry was a unique individual: a retired Army officer, lawyer, bankruptcy judge, scuba instructor, hiker, biker ( he once biked across Australia), cover, square dancer, player of odd musical instruments,  and a storyteller. He grew up in my county but spent most of his life in Columbus, Ohio. Many of his stories were of his childhood exploits, and all were imbued with his quiet humor. Larry was 90 this year. I hadn't seen him since 2019, because of the pandemic, and I have surely missed him. The world lost a good one with his passing. I will visit him though, in the cemetery near here, and sit on the bench he had installed there on his gravesite that is inscribed, "Have a seat on Larry." Yes, a sly humor. Here, Larry is dancing in 2007, and this is how I like to remember him.


Late last week I  heard of the unexpected death of Jesse Corlis. Some of you may remember when I posted about the mural being painted on the building of the West Virginia Museum of American Glass. I stopped one day when the painter was at work, and Jesse graciously stopped work to tell me about the design, and about his other murals. 

I kept up with Jesse's work, and knew he was in the midst of a couple projects when I learned he had passed away from epilepsy complications while on vacation. Another great loss of a good, kind, and talented man.

Add to that the death of the infant great- grandson of a dear friend, and, well, it has not been an easy week. I am grateful to have had so much family here this week--2 sons, 4 grandchildren, 2 great-grands--to keep me busy and keep me laughing. Because even with sadness, there is still so much joy in this life. We must just keep reminding ourselves of that, and keep seeking joy whenever we can.

Today I found that joy and peace in tbe woods, taking a long walk with granddaughter Haley.  Not a walk so much as a meander, as we searched for mushrooms, picked up black walnuts, examined odd trees, and just enjoyed the beauty of the forest in autumn.  

Here, a small maple makes its golden stand beneath taller trees.

Moss-covered hollow log, a place for some creature to live in, perhaps?

The old gasoline access road through the woods. I wish I had a dollar for every time I walked it in winter, back when our road was impassable due to snow and mud. I well remember walking it, and the steep,  steep hill at the end, when I was pregnant with my youngest son.


Haley, hoping to find a Chicken of the Woods mushroom. No luck today.


Brightly colored leaves were everywhere, so pretty.


Haley has gone home now, as she must be back to her job with the Army National Guard tomorrow, but both of us enjoyed this slow and easy walk together.

Tonight is trivia night at a local restaurant,  another opportunity to laugh and just be together.  I know I am a fortunate woman, despite the vicissitudes of this life.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

13 comments:

  1. Good times and end times, all in one opst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Kind of like a roller coaster of emotions.

      Delete
  2. Each life that has been snuffed out is still loved by the memories you shared. I'm so sorry. Glad that you have had such a wonderful grouping of family...and sitting around a fire definitely is healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, that is why I blog, to record all the memories I can, and have them to look back on later in life. You are right about the fire. It was perfect.

      Delete
  3. I lost my only brother this past week. He was 90 also. Judy and i got our flu, Covid 19 and RSV shots this afternoon so we'll be okay for awhile unless we die from all that serum in us! Her knee replacement has been scheduled for less than 3 weeks from now, which was a bit of a surprise as she hadn't been expecting the surgery date to be less than a couple of months away. She'll be happy to have that out of the way. And the beat goes on. BTW, sorry about the loss of your Lab. Losing a pet is, I think, sometimes harder than losing a relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry, Catalyst. I dread what I know is coming, the loss of my many siblings. I hope thebknee replacement goes well! I will need one in the next few years, I think. No vaccines here yet, need to get that done after our visitors leave. Losing Otis was expected, but you are right, not easy.

      Delete
  4. Looks like that you all had a great time together sharing good food, laugh and enjoying each other's company. Rest in peace, Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really nice, Angie, and needed. Everyone has been working so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Death is always present, and so hard to be a neighbor to... But life is here, too, isn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something special, and very appealing, about campfires and the food always tastes better. Please accept my condolences on your recent losses. I am at the age where funerals outpace weddings, and having been to several recently, I can only conclude that people live and people die, and there’s not much more to it than that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear of your losses. Sitting outside with family and a fire sounds relaxing. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for introducing your family and Otis. It is so hard losing a pet as well as your dear friend. A walk in the forest sounds like the perfect place to start healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that was one mixed post.
    Good that in the end you were able to see mainly the positive things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...