Pages

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

A Little Skiff and an Old Magazine

31f this morning, overcast. High of 36f predicted.

I guess the heavens took pity on me and let us have a little snow. Not enough to really count, but when it was coming down it was pretty impressive.



Today will be an inside day for sure. My sweet man is keeping me warm!


I will be low-key today; Covid seems to make a person very tired. But Larry picked dinner...


and I cleaned it up...


so we will be having potato leek soup, one of our favorites. The leeks are keeping pretty well in the garden, so far. 

I may finish up these cute old children's chairs today, 


and this table. 


All they need is wax, and I think I can manage to do that. We had the chairs in our booth but later noticed some loose spindles, so home they came for glue and clamps.

While looking in a cupboard for something, Larry found a Life magazine from 1944. It is fascinating to read, especially the ads.








Part of the fun of our little business is finding such treasures.  And rediscovering them after we squirreled them away somewhere.

Coincidentally,  I am reading a book that begins in Italy in 1944, during the occupation, when SS troops were sent in to eradicate the rebel Stella Rossi guerrillas. It has been an educational read, since I knew little about this part of WWII. Heartbreaking, and yet another reminder of how "civilized" man is. We have a long way to go, and have learned little along the way. Will peace ever last more than a few days?

Closing with some wise words from the past.



9 comments:

  1. That's one of my favorite quotes from my very favorite of the Concord set! I love the chairs and table, and I'd do the same thing as you - just wax and a good rub = perfect. And I wish someone else would tend the fire here once in a while, but so far the cats have not volunteered and I don't dare let the goats use matches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potato and leek soup sounds just about perfect to me. If a hot biscuit should happen to find its way to the table that’s a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on, Sue, you are having covid, and still thinking of working on the chairs and table? Should rest more and relax yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Emerson has the knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness! You sure don't take it easy when you are convalescing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the table and chairs! My current one is a $5.00 thrifted oak press back kitchen chair, someone made a good effort but not a good job on it, the finish is splotched on the front corner. Whatever was black still is, it looks like old dried blood or black ink and the oak is golden and shiny varnished all over it. Someone caned the center seat section then sat a big heavy flower pot or something on it, bursting down a large round hole in the new cane. No it's not a potty chair. I thought it was still worth rescuing it though and brought it home to save it from a horrible fate.
    Some guy was out front of the shop scouring the furniture section while my husband grinned from the parking lot.
    All the while, the sales lady was looking past me while he was stomping around peering in the window. I had no clue of course until I went out carrying it and my husband told me what was going on.
    When I got it home I flipped it over and was shocked by the rough old slabs around the seat hole. Am I the old one who tidies up the hidden undersides of furniture? I guess. Some little kid named Alice had crawled under there on the icky black cracked wood and chalked her name on the ole' gal, in cursive! Now she sits taking up every tiny inch on my porch and accuses me of neglecting her holey seat. I know there are several ways to cover up that hole, it just seems impossible to rid myself of that task for some reason. She just stares at me with her big one eye when I try my best not to trip over her out stretched front legs. I guess being that she is over a hundred years old she I'd entitled to be a bit huffy, but honestly creaks and groans day and night tend to get a bit tiresome after awhile. ( ; Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old magazines! I just bought 3 more this week from the '20's and 30's. The ads and prices from back then are interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, we live in Georgia and my husband repairs old metal farm toys. The junkier the better. I have tried to email you but not sure if it went through. Please let me know if there is a way we can follow your items for sale. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Potato and leek soup sounds great. We just had some fish chowder with smoked mackerel, it was excellent. Take it easy so you can get better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...