Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2023

A Quiet Day

Chilly, damp, mostly cloudy day. The sun peeped through here and there. 

I moved my houseplants back inside today, since it is supposed to be below freezing tonight. They sure enjoyed their few days outdoors. 

 

This is the best my plants have ever looked this time of year. I have a couple Christmas cactus, two geraniums and two begonias inside this year, and of course a couple aloes. Come Spring, out they go again. 

Not much going on around here today, just working on a few pieces of furniture, housework, etc. 

This is the big cabinet we are working on. 



It needed some repair work and shelves put in. Still have to deal with veneer issues. I painted the inside with a first coat of white. It has a large glass door, too, which will not get put back on until we put it in tbe booth. I can see this as a fantastic quilt cabinet.

I painted and distressed this old chair today. I still need to poly it and get the seat finished. The color is called apricot. Will it sell? Who knows, but I liked it with the fabric I found for the seat.


Larry worked on this bench too. We had it in a booth, but it literally began to come apart.  I think the wood had just dried out, loosening up the screws and nails-- that, and someone else's bad repairs.


So some reinforcing, some screws, glue, and clamps were called for. It was sold to us as part of a church pew. I don't know if that is true but it sure is a unique piece.

I finally finished making my hot sauce, a first-time effort.  


All it is is cayenne peppers soaked for a month or so in vinegar, then ground up with a blender, vinegar and all. I guess some people strain out the seeds, but I can't see why. I think I will start a second batch soon. So easy! I may try a fancier recipe next time, as I found several that sounded interesting.

The most exciting thing I did today was to order tickets for a friend and I to see Swan Lake when the ballet comes to Charleston. I have always wanted to see it, and I knew Larry would not be interested. So I will go with my friend in February. What a thrill that will be! When I was 15 I went to Constitution Hall in DC to see The Nutcracker with my first boyfriend. It was a high school band trip, and somehow he was able to take me along. Honestly,  I don't remember much about it except the beautiful hall. We were so far back the dancers looked no bigger than a pinhead. But I do remember the remarkable music. 

Well, that's about it for tonight. Not an exciting life here, is it? Tomorrow is booth restock at our other location, so it will be a full day. Good Night, friends!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

10 comments:

  1. The hot sauce sounds interesting. Barb would probably love it as she is into spicy. Me? Pepper is about as spicy as I can handle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been so productive, Sue. I must try that cayenne pepper sauce. So easy, and simple without sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I don't have an exact ratio. What I did was to stuff a jar full of peppers, then cover them with vinegar and let them soak for about a month, or maybe it was longer. I don't think it matters how long they soak, since the peppers are preserved by the vinegar. This is how I was told to do it, anyway. It is plenty hot! I don't like spicy hot food, but I do like to add a little heat to some dishes, so this will work well for me I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add, I used my dried peppers. I don't know if that makes a difference.

      Delete
  4. I once saw the Nutcracker at Christmas -- 1967 or could have been after New Years in early 1968. A few years later, we saw Swan Lake at an outdoor event in summer. That is the extent of my ballet viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if some people strain the seeds because they contain so much heat? I don't know, just wondering if maybe the sauce with seeds in will get hotter and hotter over time...please report back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life may be mundane to you but it is fascinating to me. I'd love to taste that hot sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. You really moved the plants outside for a fresh air time? Thumbs up!!! (We don´t have any plants inside anymore and I likely would be too lazy!).

    I bet that beautiful chair will be sold in no time! And the bench... and the sauce!!! Sadly hot is only for me so no use in giving me the recipe other you can freeze the sauce... Looks so yummy!!!
    Same here, went to Banksy with a a friend. Being married does not mean you are glued at one each other ;-)
    Nutcracker... I just saw a giant one at the Christmas Market! Maybe story to come, thank you for the reminder (with that: I am so happy I found your blog, too!!!!).

    Not exciting??? It is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hot sauce sounds interesting. My wife likes that but I don't. I would heartburn from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...