Pages

Thursday, February 1, 2024

Cabin, Rabbits, Amish and More.

34°f this morning, overcast.

My what a week this has been already. 


Saturday I worked on ebay, took the dogs for a walk, and worked out in the garden a bit, believe it or not. Sarah and Derek worked on the cabin and Larry worked on getting another rabbit hutch ready for occupants. I made vegetable and venison soup so everyone could eat when it was convenient. Haley and Hannah arrived with Hannah's little boy Ryland, and in the evening,  they and Sarah went bowling while Larry, Derek and I went out for ribs. Yum! They missed out big time!

Then Monday we were waiting for the windows for Sarah's cabin to arrive. They hadn't come by 11, so she and Derek went up the hill...to find the truck already there! None of us heard it, and apparently they had been up there for 3 hours without letting anyone know...and they were stuck in the mud. Geesh. So Derek pulled them out, then he and Sarah worked on the outhouse for a few hours. A friend of Sarah's arrived, and they came down to learn how to dress out rabbits. Sarah's friend was a little shell-shocked by the experience, but Sarah did the second rabbit by herself. Dinner, of course, was rabbit, again in the garlic and wine sauce, with brown rice and salad. Delicious. Even the friend admitted it was good. 

Sarah was ready to leave for the airport when more of her building supplies arrived Tuesday morning. So it was a real rush getting the truck unloaded, but Derek was her to take her to the airport so they managed to get it done and got her to Columbus on time. Whew.

After she left, we were off to our Ravenswood booth to do a reset of some of the furniture to give it all a fresh look. Four hours later I was beat!

Then yesterday, my friend Tamara and I went north about 2 1/2 hours to Ohio Amish country. What. A. Day. We went to Berlin Seed company where I was in high heaven. So many seeds!



 I bought a sinful amount, I can tell you, but now I only need my special jalapeno seeds and I will have everything I need. I also bought jar lids because they were about half the price of the ones in the stores here.

Tamara really knows her way around up there, and goes at least once a month to shop the Amish grocery stores and other places. She knew every thrift shop, and I guess I loaded up her truck! We didn't get home until 9pm, a 13-hour fun day. I hope we go again. She is great company. I was amazed at the variety of good, locally raised food. How I wish we had a store like that here.

Today we are off in a bit to try to buy a display case for our Ravenswood booth. Then I have to finish painting a cabinet for Ravenswood,  which we will take over tomorrow. Maybe Saturday I can catch my breath!

Oh, and rabbit. rabbit,  rabbit! And Happy Imbolc! We are halfway to the Spring Equinox!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. I had to look up imbolc to see what it meant. Blogging means learning something (nearly) every day! Your trip to the Amish country sounds ideal, though long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear of the shopping trip. I do miss having Amish things to eat. But we have lots of other home-made goodies available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe they sat there for 3 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew how to raise and eat rabbits. Or how to dress out a deer. I'm sure it would be hard to learn, though. I'm definitely grateful for the people who do those things so that I don't have to...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never eaten rabbit or deer. I have had moose once but didn't care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do a fair amount of shopping at our local Mennonite stores and are generally happy with our purchases - especially fresh produce in the season. It’s good to patronize local businesses too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A seed store visit would be so much fun! I've ordered only 4 tried-and-true veg seeds so far, but there are a couple more on my list. And then the Big Box of Leftover Seeds!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...