Pages

Friday, February 16, 2024

Change of Plans, and Auction Pickup

34°f this morning, or 1°C, hazy sun and thin clouds all day. Snow expected tonight.

Well, we were supposed to go over the mountains and across the state this evening, but the forecast changed those plans. Although only 1-3' is expected here, the mountains will get significantly more...and my days of finding snow driving exciting are long past. So, plans are now to make that trip next weekend. Weather permitting.

But we did do what was planned for today: pick up our buys from an auction over in Ohio. And here is what that now looks like in my house:

Vintage kitchenware, 2 or 3 boxes, my favorite items to sell...and use, actually.


Can you guess what this is?


This was a real steal: a machinists chest, with a front cover that can be locked in placed the drawers are in good shape. 

Cool old tin box 

 
and crock bowls, often called milk bowls because they were used after milking to allow the cream to rise for skimming. I havevalso seen them referred to as dough bowls.


This is a wall-mounted coffee grinder. There is glass in the front that allows you to see how many beans you have left. This one came with an extra glass pane.


Good-sized copper kettle with one tiny crack along the seam.this is like the one we used forvapple butter, but smaller.

Pfaltzgraff Christmas dishes, 12 plates, a platter, a "Cookies for Santa" plate, and a platter. I don't much like storing for almost a year, but the price was great. There were two of these oak chairs too.


The sweetest vintage bags. Two in good shape, one damaged. Ah well.

More vintage kitchenware



Mixed lot of glassware and ceramics,


Yeah a Harley Davidson landlines phone. I know, no one uses them anymore, but it is a great display piece. I hope.



And a Harley lamp, also a surprisingly good buy. 


Check this out:


Then there was this cast iron (read "very heavy") sausage stuffer. I have never used one, have you?


A nice, somewhat different butter churn. The wine glasses were with the Christmas plates.


Old portraits and old tools,


old quilts in what's called "cutter" condition, good for crafts,

a draw knife and a hay hook.

There was also a handmade wooden hay rake, a wood stand for washtubs, some wood boxes...and I think that was it.

Tomorrow I will be researching, pricing, and packing all this stuff neatly into totes. And we will be set for a few weeks for re-stocking. 

So, back to the first photo...anyone know what it is? Tell us in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. You have some fun stuff, Sue. I love those crock bowls. They are great to mix dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bed warmer? You heat it and then take it to tuck into the foot of your bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the Harley-items! It's years now that we sold ours....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no clue about the thing, but I find the various pieces quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Harley items would go in a flash around here, though come to think of it, carrying them home on a Harley might cause difficulty (we have a big Harley store nearby). No clue as to that strange item. I'm thinking heavy. I need to replace my tea strainer, which had much finer wires than these newer ones which aren't spaced as close together. Off I go to my favorite shop here in town, first choice to locate kitchen items, The Common Housefly Kitchen Store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing a dish to put veggies in and run water over them to clean them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- what a fabulous haul! And yes, glad you aren't going over the mountains with snow. I admire what you do. I love dishes and have collected vintage patterns for ages and now trying to figure out how to sell my Hall Tulip, do the pricing research and all. I have to go through for conditions -- I think Replacements will buy but only the most perfect pieces. It's such a pretty pattern but you can only use so many dishes and downsizing with plans to move in a few years means something has to go. These will be the first. I'll be sad, though I'll probably keep some of the pieces -- the teapots, some of the fruit bowls, maybe a couple place settings... just to rotate! And also, thanks for popping in today. That Kim Crawford wine is totally fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guessing a weight to tie a horse & buggy to, or a boat anchor. I saw something similar not long ago but can't recall what it was !
    I honestly want everything you show in your pictures. My guy would love the lamp, even if we haven't ridden in years. Hope you sell it all, and more goodies are just waiting for you around the bend. Annie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...