Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Change and Unchanging

40°f, or 4.5°C at 7am. Thin cloud cover, thank goodness, or it would have been colder. Full moon was a beauty last night.


Along the way yesterday

Yesterday was road trip to Huntington, WV, for a visit to the VA hospital there--nothibg serious, just picking up the shoes they supply about twice a year. Used to be that you would go in and get measured, then they mailed the shoes, but now they must be picked up. Since the VA reimburses Larry for mileage, it actually costs them about 8 times more for him to drive down to get the shoes. Crazy. 

Since it was a wet morning I went along this time. Couldn't work outside and didn't want to work inside! It is an easy drive along the Ohio River, and used to be so rural and lovely, but in the past year that has undergone dramatic changes as a new, huge steelmaking plant is being built.


Ready to lift...whatever needs it, I guess.

Temporary housing trailers for the hundreds of workers on the site. We saw license plates from Alaska to Texas and everywhere in between.

This used to be a big dairy farming rivr Valley, but no more. A few farmers are hanging on.

The plant will bring hundreds of jobs and much change. For the better? Well, most would say so. This is an economically depressed area. I admit that I mourn the loss of so much fertile land. And historically rich in Native sites. I imagine the area was thoroughly examined before work began, though, as is required these days.

Another sign of the past.

At least on our little road change comes very slowly, and I appreciate that immensely.  After you turn off the highway Joe's Run is much the same as it was when I moved here 50 years ago, and for all those years I have enjoyed and photographed the spring wildflowers along one particular stretch of the road. Here is what I found yesterday:

Creasy greens (wild mustard) gone to flower.

A hillside of Mayapple, also called Mandrake

Dwarf blue iris

I am not sure of the name of these low-to-the-ground yellow flowers

White delphinium

Pale blue delphinium

Phlox and wild geranium

Black haw tree

Isn't it just stunning?

Wild geranium

Purple delphinium

More wild geranium

A few white trillium are hanging on

A fallen dogwood still blooms its heart out.

Lowly, but lovely fleabane.

At home, these little ones greeted me in the woods by the house.

Bluetooth, aka Quaker Ladies,

and violet wood sorrel.

Other folks may celebrate the steel plant, but I will always find my joy in nature.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

13 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Nature has so much to offer...color, fresh air, food, shade, plants and water...where the steel plant will keep a culture going with dollars traded for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although our total numbers don't seem great, our town has grown rapidly in the almost two decades since we arrived. One has mixed feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a balancing act, I think, to keep progress from destroying what is good about a place.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I'd never heard mayapples called mandrake! And wow, all that delphinium. We don't have that on our mountain. I also never heard the two names you used for Houstonia (bluets). So interesting hearing all the different names. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it fascinates me. I should try to post the actual scientific names, really.

      Delete
  4. You have a wonderful variety of wildflowers along your road. The moon was stunning here too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to think of you and I looking at the same moon :)

      Delete
  5. Is that St Johnswort?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. This is too short, a ground cover.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful tour of your native flowering plants. I've not heard of most of them but my Indiana-native wife will probably recognize some of the names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you, I hate to see family farms gobbled up by progress or even larger, corporate farms. I too, am for the simpler life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way we are going we will pave over the planet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...