Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Morning

61°f, 16°C, cloudy and light showers. 


A cooler morning, which is a welcome relief after the hear of the past few days. We were up early; Larry has an appointment at the VA, this time in Charleston for blood work, and I wanted to get in the garden before the predicted rain arrived.

I kind of made it, only got a little wet. I planted kale and lettuce seeds, a few more onion sets, celery and Savoy cabbage plants, and dug up the remaining leeks to turn into potato leek soup for the freezer this afternoon. 


The garden is doing well so far, although one part of the lettuce and radishes patch is less than great. Not sure why, but I will give it some seaweed fertilizer and see if that helps.

I am trying something: putting onions in amongst the new asparagus bed. My thinking is that asparagus roots are very deep so onions won't affect them, and I can use otherwise wasted garden space, as there is a good bit of room between these first-year asparagus plants. I also put celery between the asparagus and the garlic--again, the space is wasted, and since this is in the no-till area of the garden, close planting is not a problem. I hope.


When I finished in the garden, I stopped in the root cellar and brought in jars of green beans, corn, pickled jalapeños, elderberry jelly, apple cider and pears to restock the kitchen cupboard. Then inside, finally to make breakfast: boiled eggs, toast, tomato juice and coffee. Dishes done, then laundry sorted and the washer started, floors swept. Outside again to check on my little greenhouses and the seedlings i transplanted yesterday.

Mixed into my morning work were calls and texts from youngest son, frantic and angry because his apartment complex management had mistakenly towed his car, and the office was closed so he couldn't find out where his car was. He is between jobs and squeaky tight on money, and given his severe anxiety disorder things like this are the last thing he needs. So I spent some time talking him off the ceiling and convincing him not to go beat the h*ll out of someone, which he was more than certain he wanted to do. Whew. 

And now it is 11:30 and I can sit down with my coffee and catch up with all of you! Later I will finish painting the cabinet I've been working on and make this recipe from Angie's blog, while hopefully listening to rain fall gently on the gardens. 


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds very irritating. I hope the boy gets it all sorted okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew!! What a day 😳 thanks for the reminder...leek and tatties soup tomorrow!!
    I have sown leeks and beetroot seeds in the greenhouse..must sow more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having your car towed by mistake is certain to spur some anger! What a situation. I hope he gets it resolved. Planted plenty of lettuce and kale here, along with tomatoes and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, are you busy!!!! Kale, hmmm....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...