Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Here Come the Lilies

57°f as I write this at 9am, 14°C. A few clouds, but the rain predicted overnight did not happen, which means I must go out and water the pepper and cabbage plants I put in last evening.


Stella D'Or, I think.

Hellebores, crocus, daffodils, tulips, iris, peonies...and then lilies. The spring progression of flowers continues, although the roses, once a June spectacular, have jumped the line and have been blooming profusely this month.


I don't know the name of this large white lily. It was a $1 Walmart buy after Easter a couple years ago.

I told my husband that I think, finally, I have almost enough flowers. Because can one ever really have too many? For the past several years I have worked on getting a steady progression of blooms. I think I have Spring blooms pretty much in order, but summer is still a work in progress. Our soil is sandy, and dries quickly in hot weather. 


Stargazer lily, I think?

Over the years we have added a lot of organic matter, generally in the form of mulch, and the soil is much improved. Still, having blooms in the heat of summer is a challenge.  I have coaxed along some bee balm, coneflower, and coreopsis the last two years and those seem to be doing well so far this year.  I also realized that those gorgeous gardens we see in magazines get watered, a lot. So last year I watered every couple days when we didn't get rain, and that helped a lot. Why did it take me so long to figure that out! We are fortunate that our deep well is up to so much watering. I use a mix of bone meal, blood meal and wood ash as fertilizer, and my plants seem to thrive on that.


Lemon lily, which is my secret favorite. Don't tell the others!


I don't know the name of this little pink lily, but it was most likely another marked- down buy. Such a pretty one.

That's the lily parade so far. The native daylilies will come later, adding their bright orange to June days.  There are a couple others that have yet to bloom too. I wonder what colors they will be?


Another one whose name I can't remember. Sigh. I am not a very professional gardener, am I. 

When my son Derek saw the gazing ball, he said, "Uh-oh,  now you are officially old! You got one of those balls!" I remember my mother's reaction to these balls when they became popular in the late 50's. "So tacky," she said. And I felt guilty because I thought they were beautiful and wished we had one! This is my third or fourth-- they fall victim to dogs, children, falling branches. In fact, this one just narrowly missed being smashed the other day when a huge limb fell out of an oak during some high winds in a thunderstorm.

Well, off I go to water those peppers!

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

7 comments:

  1. Didn't know there are so many different kinds of lillies. they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I get a catalogue in the mail sometimes that is all lilies! I have never ordered from it, but the variety is astounding.

      Delete
  2. Are your lilies not infested with those red bugs? Maybe they're not the Asiatic kind. We had stargazer lilies that the bugs wouldn't leave alone. BTW yours may not be stargazers, but the colour in the picture might not be accurate, so maybe they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No red bugs here, AC. I wonder what those bugs are? It may be that this one pictured is not a Stargazer, but I know for sure another that is not yet in bloom is a Stargazer, and I have not seen bugs on it.

      Delete
  3. If having a gazing ball is the measure of getting old, I am going to avoid those! Gaudy? I would not call it that at all. Love all those lillie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew the name for those garden ornaments, but when I was little I used to see them in other folks' gardens - I especially recall one that was like a red mirror globe - and think how magical they looked :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would call that last lily a 'Tiger Lily', which is the name my grandmother used for them. These lilies are naturalized and bloom in profusion in the ditches and surrounds in southern Ontario (Essex County is where I grew up.) Again, though, as AC said, I could be confused by the colour values on my screen. I often am.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...