Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Break Time

57°f, 14°C at 8am. Clear and low humidity.


Our trip to the VA hospital Monday for Larry's CAT scan was a pleasant ride, and a good break. The therapist was a great guy, very personable. While he was doing Larry's test (Larry has been wheezy and has more shortness of breath these days than normal, so we are getting things checked out), the therapist got a call from his wife letting him know that her 87 year old father was dying and he needed to get home quick. Bless his heart, he finished Larry's test before leaving. We told him that we could come another time, but he said no, he was expecting the call, and nothing he could do would change things. He was sure his father-in-law would have passed by the time he got home. He continued with the test, and I was in awe of his professionalism. 

The weather has been so nice this week, cool and dry and mostly sunny, perfect for outside work. I have been revamping the herb garden I planted last year; the German chamomile had spread wildly, and it did not have that sweet apple-y smell that I associate with chamomile,  so I yanked it all out. I also dug up and moved the thyme to the block wall, and with that little retaining wall complete, I could finally get my other plants in the ground. I moved on to tackle another bed that we have not used for several years, pulled out the red raspberry plants that never had many berries on them, and got the whole thing dug up. Now, what to plant in there? Maybe pumpkins?

We mulched the new berry plants yesterday, and this morning weeded, side-dressed and tilled the corn and potatoes.  That garden is not doing well and I don't think we will use that spot again; just too heavy clay.

Right now I am on the porch,  enjoying the view,


and having a glass of homemade grapeade,  made by mixing our grape juice canned last year with ginger ale. Delicious. 


Next, we are off to drop off a load of scrap metal to our neighbor who sells it, then to town to pick up a nice mantelpiece that was given to us, get more cardboard for mulch, and stop in our favorite restaurant for salads and a visit with friends. And maybe firepit again this evening. It was a nice one last night. 


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. Great doc you found and your porch is very pretty! - your drink sounds great for a summer day - I freeze my butt off here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very pretty view from your porch. Hope Larry's test came out good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grape juice and ginger ale! What a clever idea. That sounds absolutely delicious and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love putting different fruit juices in with ginger ale. Hope Larry's test had good results...what a caring professional doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure that breaks are most enjoyable on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there anything better than grape juice from your own grapes? I freeze juice from my wild Concord grapes, and the aroma when I open a container even when it's frozen solid is just luscious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...