Pages

Friday, June 7, 2024

Friday Fun

60°f this morning, 15.5°C. Breezy, pretty fluffy clouds, low humidity, sunshine. Perfect. 

A couple of cool days sure can make a difference! What pleasure to work outside and not be dripping with sweat. We were out in the garden early this morning.  I weeded and hoed my entire garden, an easy job because so much of it is mulched. Onions and the very tiny leeks are the only tedious parts, but they are done, for now. 

The carrots and radishes I planted last week are up, and I planted butternut squash today. The basil and dill are coming along, second and third lettucebm plantings are ready to harvest, the beans and cucumbers are climbing their trellises...all is good out there. Larry tied tomatoes, and I harvested broccoli and cut off the garlic scapes. The scapes are now chopped up and in the dehydrator,  to be used to make garlic powder. And the broccoli has been blanched, vacuum-sealed and frozen.

After we finished in the gardens we made lunch, then went to our booths to do our weekly refresh. We changed out the display window at Ravenswood  but I am not happy with it and need to make some changes. When we finished at both places, we drove to the writers conference (lucky for me, this state conference is held just 15 miles from our house) to get me registered for tomorrow, then picked up our milk from the farmer's market.  

Finally returned home, where Larry mowed grass with one partially repaired mower, while I packed ebay and got my things ready for the conference.  (This is actually a 3-day conference, but I opted to attend only one day as we had so much to do here.) When I finished i went outside to deadhead roses and mix up our fertilizer blend of blood meal, bone meal,  and wood ash so Larry can sidedress the tomatoes tomorrow.

And so ends this very long day. Tomorrow I will leave early for the conference, and enjoy a day of reconnecting with friends and maybe get inspired to write more. It will be a nice break.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely weather! Have some fun tomorrow :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue. I found out about you from Tipper Pressley. I subbed to your channel. Curious about a large 1/2 gallon or gallon jar with a wire bail on top, that you gifted Tipper. Where can I buy one?
    Kim in Ohio
    SFSLady1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a couple of warm days at 15⁰C to get my garden sorted!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got all breathless reading what you are up to - chapeau!
    I hate this cold weather... at least the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s the time of the year when salads are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A day at the conference should be a very nice break for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you decided to take a little break! It can be so refreshing to just step aside for a day - or even a couple of hours - and fill your mind with different things. I hope you are having a great time today :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your temperatures cooled down just about the same time as ours went up. 30C today...first time hitting 30 this season.
    Sounds like your garden is doing very well.
    I hope your day at the conference was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a good time just being creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim has finally fixed one lawnmower and replaced another. It's never ending, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be interested to hear about your conference. Love cool days like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...