Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Skunked, and a Few Other Things

73f, or 23.8c this morning at 7am, light overcast, muggy. 

We have 2 unhappy boys here. They met up with a critter that wasn't as friendly as they are, and phew! They stink! Even our old dog Daisy won't get near them. So yesterday we went out in search of some kind of shampoo to minimize the smell. Will be trying it out today, but I am betting these two will be unwelcome on the porch for several weeks. Poor dogs, they really don't understand why.

That wasn't all we did yesterday, because when you live out like we do you tend to make trips to town count. Besides, we needed milk from Maddie the Milk Girl (her Jersey cow gives such good milk), and we needed to restock our booths after the 4th of July weekend. We had good sales, which was nice. It was mostly small things, because the 4th brings lots of out-of-town visitors to our area. I was happy to see that a  sterling silver charm bracelet, picked up for a few dollars in an online auction, sold for $225.

Some new things we added:

Vintage and reproduction men's shaving items.


Enamelware picked up recently at a yard sale.


The blue desk I painted a few weeks back finally made its way in.


This bowl is huge, and heavy! I have seen it listed as a Dale Tiffany,  but I can't verify that. My price is about half of that listing, but will be a very good profit anyway. 


Ebay was busy over the weekend too. Not a lot of sales, only 5, but they are adding to my fund to buy a new laptop. Can you believe I bought my laptop used in 2013? It still works, but Microsoft is discontinuing support for Windows 10, so I guess it's time. I still use Word 2007 too, and if I can u may just keep it. It works fine for me. I don't need bells and whistles,  just a basic program.

Here's what sold on ebay, if you're curious.

A tiny individual creamer, vintage 1920s, from the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

Signed Culver tumblers, so glitzy!


I was thrilled these sold. There are thousands of etched stemware pieces on ebay, and since I never could ID the maker, I really didn't think they would sell. But they were gone in just avfew days; of course, my price was very low. I just didn't want to take them to a thrift where they would surely have been tossed, or broken, as the glass is extremely delicate.

I found two of these glass butter presses at a flea market last year. I have never seen any like them, and now I have sold them both. 


And lastly, a foxhunting print. Framed art is so tricky to wrap, and I don't like to list it, but I had this in my booths for a good while, so finally decided to put it online.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

20 comments:

  1. I have no idea where you find the time for all your many projects, including gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, I really don't work all the time. I take many breaks! But I don't watch TV, which I think frees up a lot of time. So during breaks, I write my blog, read other blogs and my books, bid on online auctions, talk to friends and family on the phone, etc. I just keep shuffling along, one thing to another.

      Delete
  2. Can you really get rid of that smell? I love that blue desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will take a few weeks, Angie, for the smell to just wear off. Dumb dogs! But such sweet boys.

      Delete
  3. ...I always earned a live by buying and selling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had gotten into it younger, Tom. I didn't trust my instincts back when I was young, and didn't have any encouragement either.

      Delete
  4. Good to see that you are getting sales...bike bits are very slow at the moment..a couple of wholesalers/ online sellers went under and the firm that bought them is selling stock dirt cheap...so eBay bike bits, even retro and small bike shops too are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is surprising, gz, given the rising popularity of biking, at least here in the US! I hope it picks up for you soon.

      Delete
  5. Those shaving brushes draw me although I have never used one. I don't even have much of a memory of seeing my dad or grandparent used one, but I think i have a dim picture of dad. I can't say for sure that it is correct, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were wandering an antiques shop and what I noticed is that we have enough things that we need to get rid of that we could really stock a small shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor dogs!
    Oh, I need to keep Ingo away from your blog - he would fall for the shaving items...
    My private laptop is called "Great-Granpa" - from 2015.... My work-desktop is old and my admin calls it Ganpa...
    Both work perfectly!!
    "Cool" stuff you have (sold).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor dogs!
    Oh, I need to keep Ingo away from your blog - he would fall for rhe shaving items...
    My private laptop is called "Great-Granpa" - from 2015.... My work-desktop is old and my admin calls it Ganpa...
    Both work perfectly!!
    "Cool" stuff you have (sold).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy seeing what you sell on ebay, and in your booth. I have been toying with the idea of selling on ebay since I retired. You make it look easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, skunk smell is the worst. Good luck with getting rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poor smelly pups! I hope the shampoo you found helps to at least lessen the stink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe your computer lasted so long! You really have an eye for what will sell and what won't. I wouldn't have a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those canines may be ostracized for a while! Skunk smell is hard to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a really smelly situation, I experienced that about 15 yrs ago and never forgot the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a really smelly situation, I experienced that about 15 yrs ago and never forgot the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Try using 3 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part each of baking soda dish soap to wash the skunk spray of your dog, Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...