Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Green Mystery

72°f again this morning, clear, dry. We had a high of 95.4 yesterday and expect the same today. Yuck.

Larry was out weed-eating at 6am this morning, to beat the heat. I am pretty sure he will have a long nap today!

I am intrigued by this patch of bright green grass in the woods by the house.


Why is it so green? All around it the grass is brown, as you can see. (The green at the top of the picture is along Sarah's road, where the limestone gravel probably accounts for the color). I wonder if there is a small spring under that green patch? 

The blue bottles are all that remain on my bottle tree. I had them in an ash tree, which has now finally died, victim of the emerald ash borer. The tree still has some green last year, but now it is completely dead. We will cut it down this winter.

Off to the doc I go! Routine, but must be done.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

10 comments:

  1. ...emerald ash borer have been busy making firewood here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All our ash trees are gone now. I sure miss them.

      Delete
  2. Love the mystery-patch.
    Fingers crossed you don´t have to wait forever at the doc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is always a short wait, usually 15-20 minutes!

      Delete
  3. We had a thunderstorm here which knocked out the power for half an hour and made a mess of our front yard. But we missed the whole thing as I had a doctor appointment in a nearby town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, kind of a shame! You don't have storms very often, do you?

      Delete
  4. I hope the doctor appt went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very well. I call it my well baby checkup, lol!

      Delete
  5. I love little mysteries like that. We have greener grass in our yard where there's a little shade, but it's not emerald green. My BIL used to have quite a few ash trees that succumbed to the borer. My husband has gotten some wood for wood working from them. The borers have made interesting patterns in the grain, but sometimes they have done too much damage to the wood to be used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wood is beautiful, I bet. We have lost all our ash trees, just so sad. At least your husband is making good use of some of it. We had one huge tree, very straight bole, but could find no one to take it.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...