Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2024

Soup and Stuff

The tomato soup came out wonderfully, thick and full of flavor. I used a recipe from the Bernardin Jar Lid Company's website. The recipe had several surprising ingredients, like brown sugar, carrots, and cloves. I mean...cloves? Really?

I was not adventurous enough to use the cloves, but I did use the brown sugar and carrots. I also riffed a bit on the other ingredients,  using sweet banana peppers instead of red peppers because I didn't have red peppers. I added hot pepper sauce, Worchestershire sauce, and red wine too, and instead of celery, which I was out of, I used dried celery leaves (always handy to have on hand). 

I used the black tomatoes again, as that is what we have plenty of right now. If you are not familiar with Black Krim tomatoes, they are an heirloom variety that can look pretty dark on the inside. 

See the datk areas? Tbe tops almost always stay a dark green, but that part is actually ripe and very good. I had already cut the hard white parts out of this one.

They also tend to have all sorts of imperfections that make them often look ugly, and have a pretty big internal stem that must be cut out, but their flavor is absolute heaven, and they like our soil so we grow them every year. 


Here you can see the bumpity-lumpity shape of many of the Black Krims. It makes cutting them nicely for sandwiches a challenge! These are almost all actually ripe. There is a lot of color variation in this variety. 

The end result tastes very close to good old Campbell's tomato soup, but ever so much better and with more texture. Larry and I tried it for lunch, adding milk, and it was just amazing.


I ended up with 6 1/2 quarts, not counting what we ate. I think I will make one more batch, because if I serve this when we have company I would probably use 2 quarts at a time. 

The thing about these tomato recipes is that one has to stand there and stir frequently because tomatoes love to scorch. It took at least an hour and a half to cook down the soup and puree' it, then there is the jars to wash, the canner to get ready, jarring up, etc. So in the end, probably 2 hours or more on my feet, which were complaining pretty insistently by the time I was done.

Well, I was also making meatloaf and cherry pie while cooking down the soup too, so a bit of multitasking.  I had to get cleaned up quickly and rush out, leaving Larry to babysit the canner, as I had a haircut appointment in the afternoon, first one in the last year and a half and I did not want to miss it!

It was a nice break to sit back and let someone take care of my old gray hair. Afterwards I stopped in the coffee shop next door for an iced hazelnut coffee. What a treat! I had a few more stops on the way home, including a long roadside chat with a neighbor. You can do that on our road---in the 20 minutes we were talking, only one car came by, and my van was well out of the one-lane road.

I felt revived by the time I got home. It was still a blistering 90 degrees (will this heat ever end?) so the rest of the evening we spent inside, Larry watching a movie while I entered receipts in my spreadsheet. I am kind of proud of myself because as of right now I am all caught up on that task, and believe it or not this is the first time that has happened at this time of the year since I started selling. Usually I am scrambling at the beginning of the year to get all the past year's stuff entered. Procrastination is my middle name when it comes to this job. I hate paperwork and numbers. But it does feel good to be keeping up with it.

Tomorrow I am on the road to the Lewisburg Literary Festival for yet another reading from the Porch Poems book with my fellow poets. This will be an overnight trip, as the festival graciously offered to put us up. Not in the Greenbrier Resort, which is very nearby, though. 

Anyway, the Greenbrier will be up on the auction block soon because our no-good governor doesn't pay his bills and defaulted on his loans. Jim Justice,  who is running for the Senate (and will probably win because everybody loves his dog, not kidding) has been sued over and over again for financial shenanigans,  including ripping off miners' pension funds,  not paying contractors or his workers, etc. He gets out of it by settling out of court for a fraction of what he owes. God help us when this abhorrent piece of humanity gets to Washington. He will be an embarrassment to our state.

Off to bed now, so I can be bright-eyed tomorrow.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

13 comments:

  1. Wow all that soup made. I've never seen those tomatoes here in UK but they look interesting,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Krimm tomatoes wouldn't win a beauty contest but they sound delicious and so does the resulting soup.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who heats up the kitchen when it's already so hot!! I baked bread and an apple pie.
    Have a wonderful time at the Literary Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't look ugly at all...I love their nature mishapes...unlike supermarket ones...all bloody round and same, but tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´ve never eard of sweet banana peppers - sounds very yummy!
    Mother Nature comes up with the most funniest appearances! I hate how supermarkets throw such veggie/fruit out for the "bad" look!
    Milk??? That´s new to me, too!
    Ha! So I´m not dumb after all! I stood there stirring and stirring for over an hour, too... thank you for letting me know! I was justafraid to go away. Obviously for a reason. Gut-feeling!
    I love roadside chats. Ingo once was even worried and went outside to find me, LOL. We chatted over an hour in -2C/28F outside, my W and I....
    Procrastination - yes. Need to do the taxes. Soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about making tomato soup with some extra tomatoes I have. I just read this morning that the Greenbrier is going to be auctioned off although Justice's lawyers said they are going to fight it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the work you put into that soup (and meatloaf and cherry pie!) I'm so glad it tasted delicious. Of course the cook kept tasting as cooking too! Congrats on accomplishing the bookkeeping too! Yay on the new haircut and going for a weekend away with creative people! Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...you sure have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That soup sounds wonderful! You're certainly making good use of your tomato abundance - always a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes time to make good and delicious food, and you created a feast. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did a little research on Jim Justice. You are right, he sounds like a piece of work. When I googled his name, the second item on the list was Jim Justice's dog. What is the matter with people?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your governor seems to remind of some other politician. Just can't think of his name right now. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can always just about bet the farm that the people who are screwing everyone around them are powermongers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew, I'm tired reading about your day. I've never made tomato soup, but it's a favorite. You have lots of tomatoes, so it's nice you're able to do something with them. I used to can, that's work. I no longer have a veggie garden. We live within walking distance to 3 stores, so I felt like there just wasn't a need. I've not heard of that type of tomato, but have seen some that look like that before. They're not the prettiest for sure, but if they taste good........go for it. Hope tomorrow is a bit less hectic for you. Spotted you on a mutual friends blog and thought I'd pop i to say hi. It's always fun meeting new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...