Pages

Monday, May 7, 2007

Storytelling Sources

I am sometimes asked for sources of stories by those who are interested in telling tales themselves. Where can stories be found? They're everywhere, in every place we travel and in every person we meet. They're in books certainly, but also online, in the local newspaper, in the classified ads, on the staff bulletin board.

How can these stories be found? By not only hearing but listening, not only looking but seeing, not only touching but feeling. And by asking questions and listening to the response. How often have you seen a TV personality ask a guest a question, only to continue to talk, interrupt and ask more questions before the guest has a chance to answer?

Many people seem to like the TV show called The View. I find annoying in the extreme as the stars of the show try to outshout each other in desperate efforts to get the most attention from the audience and the camera.

This past weekend at a farm auction I was standing by an older man and discussing the items being sold. I said I'd like to have the old wood ironing board, and he said he used to have one like it. He proceeded to tell me the story of the Coon and Possum Dog (read a version of it here), a tall tale that's been told in the mountains for years. I tell it myself, and that's why I wanted the ironing board. But here he was, telling the story as a current joke, and telling it well--he could be a professional storyteller, but I'd bet he doesn't even know there is such a thing.

He told me several more stories and jokes that afternoon, for the pure pleasure of sharing them. And I listened, for the pure pleasure of hearing the tales told so well.

Stories? They're everywhere. Listen--you may be hearing one right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...