Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Morning on the Ridge


Good morning! The first blush of dawn washes the sky as I drive off to work. I stop to take a quick shot of the house from the top of the hill. We're tucked into the head of a hollow, private, secluded and peaceful.
What you can't see here is the smoke rising from both chimneys on this chilly 8-degree day.



Turning away from the view of the house, I beheld this lovely, lovely moon, hanging like a ripe peach in the frosty air.
I did not turn right and follow the ridge this morning because the hill (Ken Parrish Hill, as we call it after the old gentleman who used to live at its foot) is probably very slippery. Instead, I turned right toward the church, a less treacherous route in bad weather.



The glow of pink edged the entire sky this morning, creating a pastel landscape that reminded me for some reason of the Snow Queen in the Nutcracker.

The graveyard at the church, about a half mile from my house, was blanketed in white silence, and I hoped the dead resting beneath were warmer than the living treading above.
In this graveyard is a grave marked "unknown." I have not yet found anyone who can tell me about the stone or how it came to be there. It's a mystery I need to solve, just to quiet my over-active imagination.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some beautiful pictures. Especially of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you should consider a book with some of these beautiful photos and your fine narratives to accompany them, and perhaps some poems??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you should consider a book with some of these beautiful photos and your fine narratives to accompany them, and perhaps some poems??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those comments. Mary, I love the book idea. I don't know if my camera takes the quality needed for printing; I think you have to have a certain number of megapixels for the photos to look right in print or something like that.

    I really love moonwatching--perhaps because I'm part moonchild (June 21 birthday puts me on the cusp between Gemini and Cancer).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...