Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

So here is how I made my peppers. I found lots of recipes online and in my cookbooks but I never found the one I used to use--it has to be in one of my cookbooks but where? That recipe said you could prepare them and then freeze them before baking so you would have an almost-ready meal ready to go. I know I didn't dream it!


I started by washing the peppers (I had 11 of them), then cut off their tops and scooped out the innards. This year's peppers have very few seeds in them, probably because of the hot dry weather (although I thought peppers were from Mexico and didn't mind heat and drought?). I hate to waste anything, so I cut all the good pepper bits from around the stems and chopped those up to add later to the rice.

I put on the rice to cook; I used the boil in bag brown rice, and I cooked two of the bags.

I browned about a pound and a half of ground venison (ground beef is fine too), drained it and set it aside. Then I sauteed one medium chopped onion, a clove of garlic and the chopped pepper until tender; I chopped up one medium tomato while those were cooking and added it at the end, giving it just a quick stir or two. Then I put the browned meat in, added some thyme and oregano, pepper and salt and about a 1/2 teaspoon of paprika. I beat 4 eggs well and stirred them in last.

By this time the rice was done. I added it to the meat mixture, stirred it in well and then used the mixture to fill my pepper shells. There was a lot of the meat mixture left over so I put that in a casserole dish to bake too.


The other peppers cooked for about 30 more minutes before they were tender. I topped them with some leftover tomato sauce and grated cheese for the last 15 minutes. I served them with the extra rice and a salad. I wish I'd had some fried apples to add to the meal--I think that would have made it perfect.

I imagine you could stuff peppers with a wide variety of mixes--I saw one recipe for Italian-seasoned stuffing, another that added nuts, and one with butternut squash. What do you use when you stuff peppers?

3 comments:

  1. Now I hungry!
    I love stuffed peppers and when I make them I usually just make my usual(beef)meatloaf recipe but add rice or oats and shredded carrots. As for my seasonings ~ well it just depends on what I have on hand at the minute and what I want to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    We love stuffed peppers too and your looked so good. I have never used cheese on top but may do that next time.
    With peppers so high at the grocery I had one or two this summer so chopped them up in the hamburger rice mixture and cooked it all together. We ate it over rice with no pepper. It was good. I want to try stuffed pepper soup, which The Ridge Inn in Laurelville near here serves sometimes. It is so good.
    Have a great evening. I love this time of year and thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm happy I'm feeling better too.
    BLessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that soup too, Barb and it's delicious. I might have to give it a try. I still have peppers to use up.

    Jessica, I like your way of cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...