Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vintage Thursday: Gettin' My Irish Up

I have been so busy with getting ready to set up shop in my booth that I haven't been taking a lot of photos. But this week at Goodwill, I got so lucky. The luck of the Irish, I suppose because I found some beautiful things that make me think of Ireland and St. Patrick's Day. My heritage is mixed, like most Americans--my father was half Irish and half German, my mother 100% English. But the things I found spoke to my Irish blood for a change. (Usually I'm more in touch with my English heritage, and given the difficult relationship between Britain and Ireland, it's a wonder I'm not running a fever all the time.)

 
Like this Marcus Notley tea set that includes the teapot, sugar bowl with lid and spoon, creamer and six mugs.

I also found 4 more matching mugs to this set, so I listed them on eBay separately. And there was one extra mug--that one will be for me to toast my Irish heritage on St. Pat's Day!

That wasn't all, though. I also found these 2 glass mugs with concise instructions for making Irish coffee etched right on them. How much fun is that? A little research revealed that these were made by "Eamon" for QVC. Pretty sure it's not my nephew Eamon they're referring to.

Then there was this lovely little basket at a little thrift shop that I passed up the first time but when it was still there three days later, well...

Are you planning ahead for the green month? I know Valentine's Day hasn't even come but that is never a really big deal for me. And usually St. Patrick's day isn't either, but this year I'm in the mood for it for some reason. So I might be doing a little more greening up around the house in preparation.


If you feel like reading up a bit on Irish history, mythology and folklore, this site is a good place to find what you're looking for. And you can listen to podcasts of Irish history here, or share the story of your Irish-American heritage here.

6 comments:

  1. I really love that teaset, it looks fresh and pretty. I've no Irish blood but I'd definitely give that house room:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love, love, love these! I'm a fourth Irish and adore all things Ireland. I think I have a spot for that little basket...(looking around shiftly) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so spring-like, Rowan, I think that's why I like it too. And the porcelain is a good quality.

    Angel, I do the same thing :) Start looking for a spot and usually find it; seems like space can appear magically for the things we like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bit of Irish in me that I'm inordinately proud of. Still looking for my Scotts, but there is an ancestor named Nancy Hay who could be. Thanks for the links; they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great St. Patrick's Day find! Love the set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can anyone help me to get these "quite" "consise" instructions to make Irish coffee. I've tried Eamon for QVC, had no luck :-( HELP!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...