Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

That Breakfast Set, and a Little Junking Junket

We had an interesting day today. Another vendor at one of our antiques malls wanted to trade: a seven piece dining set for an oak desk in our booth. She'd been using the table as a desk, didn't need the six chairs but needed the space they were taking up. Our desk, a turn-of-the-century oak school teacher's desk, seemed to fit her needs better. So we agreed to trade.

We went to the mall first so we could set up the little breakfast set I've been working on. Here it is, all complete:


I love the way this came out. My granddaughters said I should paint the table white; I sort of recoil at painting oak when it is in good condition, but maybe they're right. What do you think--paint or leave as is?

We drove through beautiful country to deliver the desk and pick up the dining room set.



We took the furniture to our booth and with Leah (the owner of the mall) helping, we got it in the booth and mostly arranged without, amazingly, having to take anything else out. Leah is great at figuring space like a jigsaw puzzle.

On the way home we stopped at a thrift store and found a few things, like:


Vintage jewelry boxes and a little condiment set in a chrome rack (missing a lid, so I'll be on the hunt for a replacement);


a gorgeous vase and a chef decor chalkboard along with some funky fish salt and pepper shakers,

 a pretty deep pink brocade women's wallet/purse and a candlewick ashtray,

and a pretty made-in-Italy floral scarf and a new (to us anyway) shower curtain.

All in all it was a good day. Tonight I'm doing some eBay listings while Larry works on the Hoosier cabinet again. Tomorrow? More of the same, I think, and that sounds like another fine day to me.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

2 comments:

  1. the blue looks wonderful on the chairs! the table base does look a bit odd with the blue chairs. But like you I never want to paint oak, i think I spent too many years stripping things back to their original finish. Looks like you got some great buys today, hope you find some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paint the table? I'd rather you cooked breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...