Pages

Friday, December 7, 2018

The Dark of December

Good morning! Every morning we are greeted with song from a Carolina wren whose home must be very near our bedroom window. As the light has retreated in these winter days, his wake-up call gets later and later--now it is 7:15. You could almost set a watch by him. After solstice, his song will come earlier and earlier, assuring that we sleepyheads will be awake at daybreak whenever it comes.


You can hear a lot of birds in the video above, most notably the woodpecker--sounds like the red-bellied to me. The video is not mine, but from Youtube--I am never camera-ready when our bird sings.

This morning he sang only one time, and he sounded cold, not his usual happy, chipper self. I hope he's all right. We have enjoyed his company for this past year.

One of my favorite poems is about a bird singing in December, and our wren reminds me of it.


I Heard a Bird Sing
by
Oliver Herford (1863–1935)
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.
"We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,”
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely alarm clock. It's wonderful to have nature call first thing in the morning. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a bit sweeter than our Wrens who are also mighty small but plenty loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for some pleasant moments listening to the Carolina wren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this! I am terrible at identifying birds by their song, but now I'll know this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...