Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Thinking of You: The Art of Note Writing

I bought a used book about seashells this week, and while browsing through the pages of beautiful color photos, a little card fell out.


I don't know who sent the card, or who Mammy was, but the simplicity of the card, and the thoughtfulness of its sender touched me. Someone took the time to sit down, write a quick note, and mail it off.



There is no special message in the card, no news, congratulations, sympathy, or holiday greeting. Just a few lines to say hello, ask about Mammy's health and her summer, and send love.

But maybe the message really is special in its simpleness: a note to just say hello, a reminder of love and friendship, a connection to another.

I have received a few notes like this in my life, and each one brought with it a feeling of warmth and tenderness, of feeling remembered and valued by the sender. They brought a smile to my face, even in the hardest and saddest moments I've ever experienced. Most of them I have kept, tucked into my memory boxes for re-reading, and perhaps one day for my sons to read when they sort out my house. The notes are like a talisman, a touchstone to remind me that I matter. That's not to say that I feel like I don't matter; but isn't it comforting to be reminded of that fact?

I admit that I am not a note-sender. I try, and sometimes manage to send one or two off in a year, but I am thinking that perhaps I need to try harder, to just send a simple note to say hello, I love you, you're in my thoughts. My friend and fellow storyteller Adam is so good at this--we get random cards from him and they always make my day. And I blush to say I've seldom returned the favor.

It's the season for holiday cards right now; I get quite a few "virtual" cards these days as people find it simpler to email or Facebook a quick message. I appreciate those too. Mailing cards is time-consuming and for some just too much added expense. I'm still old-school enough to mail the hard copy cards, and this year I will try to write something besides just our names in the cards. It would be a start, at least.

As for Mammy, I hope she is still well, and still basking in the knowledge of being well-loved.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

3 comments:

  1. I had to smile as I read this....you being a writer and a story teller I'm surprised that you don't really enjoy writing letters too.

    I love writing notes & letters. I write them often. I hate sending a Christmas card without a handwritten letter inside or at least a few paragraphs on the card. I teach a boys Sunday school class & write letters to them fairly often & my husband & I both write letters to two little girls in Kentucky that are pretty special to us. Letters are precious.

    My husband shared letters with his grandmother for over 40 yrs. Her letters are so sweet to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny, isn't it. I used to write letters to my Dad and my Mom, back when I didn't have a phone, and even when I had a phone the cost of calling was too high to do it very often. I wish I had those letters now. I saved one of his, but have none of the ones I wrote. I think my brother tossed a lot of stuff after my parents passed because there was just so much. They kept everything, and also had all my grandmother's and my aunt's letters and things, so it was a lot to clean out. I try to keep up with family birthdays, which amounts to 20 or 30 cards a year, if I send to my 12 siblings as well as my daughters-in-law, grandchildren and great-grandchilden. I don't get them all done every year, but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a note writer. I don't get many written to me but when I do, it does brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...