Pages

Monday, January 20, 2020

Traveling West Virginia: In the Mountains

This past weekend we were in the mountains. Where we live is really the foothills of the Allegheny range, and elevations, while steep, are not all that high. This trip took us to Randolph and Tucker counties, West Virginia, where some of our state's highest mountains are located.

The first day was a storytelling day at Elkins High School. I was there to present Appalachian stories and ballads to English and Creative Writing classes. We had a blast! The students were so receptive and willingly interacted with me, something that can be hard to find with this age group. We talked, I told, they told me stories, and they even joined in on the chorus of the last ballad. What fun! At the end the teacher asked those who wanted to take part to be in a photo with it. It was flattering to see how many of them crowded onto the stage, and some hurried so they could stand beside me. Talk about feeling at home! As I left the building a tall boy came up and gave me a high five, telling me how much he enjoyed the stories and songs. I left with a glow that could have melted snow.

That evening we tried out the Venezuelan restaurant in Elkins, El Gran Sabor. I was so surprised to hear that there was a Venezuelan restaurant in the state, especially in the small mountain town of Elkins! As some of you might remember, our daughter-in-law in Miami is Venezuelan and has prepared food from her country for us and also took us to a Venezuelan restaurant when we visited. So we were anxious to try out El Gran Sabor.

It was delicious. Funky, comfortable atmosphere, with a nice dining area in front and a bar with a large lounge in back, where they offer live music several times a week. I wanted music so we headed to the back. We had chachapas and arepas, with Latin rice and black beans and it was all delicious. The band was a loud rock threesome, not our usual style but we enjoyed it anyway.

We stayed overnight in town, and next morning at breakfast met two men whose stories are vastly different from each other. The first, who looked to be in his 50's, came stumbling in looking like he'd had one wild night. His hair was sticking up all over and uncombed, his pants falling down almost to his knees and his eyes were puffy--his whole face looked pretty tough, honestly. He sat at a table beside me and pulled out his wallet, and began counting his money. He had a LOT of money, mostly $100s. I laughed and asked, "Is it all there?"

"Nope," he said, "my girlfriend stole $300 from me last night."

"Ex-girlfriend, you mean?" I asked.

"Man," he said, "I don't know where my jacket it. Or where my truck is either. I'm from Akron, Ohio---gotta figure out how to find my truck..."

He got up and wandered out, hitching up his pants. I wondered if that $300 had gone up his nose or down his throat the night before. What a mess he was.

The second was a young man from Texas. He told us he was in town to repair some wind generators that had gone offline.

"Really?" I asked. "How do you get up there to them? They're awfully tall."

He explained that there was a ladder inside the tall pillars on which the generators are mounted. He went on to tell us all about his work, as we had many questions. I'd never met anyone who did that kind of work, so I was fascinated. He told us he'd been a police officer for five years, but burned out fast and went to a college in Texas where he got a two-year degree in wind energy technology. I did not know such a degree existed---there's a new career path for today's young people!

After we left the motel, we wandered downtown. I had hoped to see two museums--the railroad museum and the forestry museum. Sadly they were both closed. The volunteer at the visitors center was friendly and helpful though, and we enjoyed a long chat with him about Elkins history.


Near the depot was an old historic building that housed arts and crafts, antiques and a coffee shop. We browsed around, enjoying all the beautiful work. I bought a small blue glass Blenko tree to add to my collection.


The pottery was really stunning. I wish I had noted the artisan's name.




We stopped at a Dollar General for a few things, and in there I met a third man, who was buying several cans of sausage gravy. Who knew that you could get it in cans?? Not me. He was quite elderly and I took him to be in his 70's, but he said no, "I'm 88! And I work every day and never get sick!" He wasn't even wearing glasses. Amazing.

We left town to head up to Blackwater Falls then, as the weather was getting colder and snow was predicted. The rain was freezing on the trees as the road climbed.



We checked in and found that the park naturalist had booked us a cabin to share with my storytelling partner Judi and her husband Tom. This was one of the views on the way to our cabin.







The cabin itself had obviously had some updates recently. and was so cozy and nice.

This is the view out our windows.


And in the kitchen cabinets--Fiestaware! Made right here in WV by the Homer Laughlin China Company. That was pretty cool to see.




Larry and I wasted no time getting a fire going.


Tom and Judi soon arrived and we went to the Smokehouse Restaurant in the park lodge for dinner. They had a large buffet with many choices; the dining room is glassed in with lovely views over the Blackwater Canyon.

Our performance went well, with a good audience. This time the presentation was Celtic stories and ballads, so all day I was doing a mental shifting of gears from the Appalachian material to the Celtic.It was good to revisit this material as it's been a couple months since we've had a performance for this particular set of material.

Next morning, the promised snow had arrived and was falling as we prepared to leave the cabin.


The vehicles were iced over and the men had a challenge getting them open!


Our little cabin, Number 13. It wasn't bad luck at all.


Tom cleaning their car as Judi makes her careful way to the door.


The restaurant was cozy and welcoming, the breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious, and the waitress came by regularly to fill our coffee cups. Heaven.



The snow continued to fall so we waited a bit before leaving to let others track it in.


Not far out of Thomas, we met this sight:


I thought it was a wreck, but it turned out to be a flatbed tractor trailer that had run out of diesel fuel in the middle of the road. How in the world he let his tanks run dry I cannot imagine, but there he was, being re-fueled in the middle of the road. We waited, talking with the State Roads truck driver who was also stuck there. He was a nice guy--and took the photo for me.

Miraculously, the tractor trailer started after getting fuel--miraculous because often when a diesel runs out of gas it's the very devil to start.

All along the road were ice-coated, snowy trees, so pretty.






We followed the salt truck all the way to Parsons, and honked a goodbye and thank you to the driver.


Our van is all-wheel-drive, so it goes very well in bad weather; still it was nice to have the truck ahead of us preparing the road.



Once down off the mountain, the roads were fine, and we were home right when we had planned. Here the house was a little chilly, but we soon had it warmed up and spent the evening by the fireplace with our dogs, who were very glad to see us back. We had had a good time, but we were glad to be home too.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. A lot happening, in a couple of days!!!!

    Glad you had so much fun, and got home safely.

    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ”¥ðŸ’›ðŸ”¥¸.•*¨*•♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun adventure and I am always amazed by people who age well. Good genes, I think because sausage gravy from a can can't be good for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I thought the same thing! I guess hard work kept his arteries open. He was well spoken and obviously had not lost any of his marbles yet. A nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely little adventure! Although I must say looking at the pictures and reading about those icy roads made my tum-tum a little queasy. I was raised in northern Illinois and our winters were always full of ice and slippery roads. What snow we did have would melt in a day or two. Then we'd have more ice again. Glad you had such a good time on your trip and got home safely. A very interesting synopsis of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like a great time. I like meeting people and hearing their stories. It seems like the same holds true for you.
    Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...