Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 115: Flowers and Beets

72 again, but humidity was not bad. Clear and hot all day, with a high of 93

I had a mission this morning: get to work on the big flowerbed. There were plants that needed to be cut back, and weeds to be pulled. The little pink primroses (I have called them poppies for years, and only learned that they were actually primroses recently) are an annual that self-seeds--so that means I can't mulch where they grow or I will suffocate the new plants. And that means lots of weeds get a happy place until the primroses are done and I can finally get in there.

Before

So I was up early to get this job done. Larry got up early too, to weed the leeks and get the sprinkler going because we have not had rain now for 2 weeks. Two weeks without rain, at the height of the growing season! I feel for the truck farmers.

After

because I really wanted to be able to see these lilies!

Aren't they pretty? Well, except there's Larry's bucket. He uses it as a stand for the sprinkler. Not pretty, but necessary.
It took me about three hours, and by the time I stopped I was dripping with sweat. I didn't clean up behind myself, so that will be my task tomorrow. The garden does look better for my efforts, though. Next year, maybe I'll move those tall yarrow and coneflower plants to the back of the garden so they don't block the view. Maybe. I kind of like the wild randomness of this plot though.

I mentioned yesterday that I canned a few pints of beets. I tried a couple different things. First, I forgot to tell Larry to leave a couple inches at the top, and not to cut off the roots because when the beets are pre-cooked to loosen the skins, cutting off the tops and roots means the color will bleed out. So, what to do? Because of course he trimmed the beets very nicely for me.

I decided to roast the beets in the oven, and then peel them. And then there was this other thing. The other day Larry dug a few carrots, to see if they were ready to harvest. He washed up the ones he dug, put them in a baggie and put them in the freezer. The next day he dug all the carrots.I didn't realize he'd put the first ones in the freezer that until I went to get them out to clean and cut up with the rest of the carrots. I took them out to clean up, and lo and behold, the skins just kind of slipped off!

So when I was doing the beets, I wondered: could freezing beets be a way to remove the skins more easily than cooking and cooling? That is what most recipes say to do: wash, cook, and peel, then reheat before packing in jars. I took one beet and put it in the freezer while the others were roasting. I figured roasting would keep the color in, unlike boiling them. After about 35 minutes, I pulled the roasting beets out of the oven and peeled them with a vegetable peeler. It wasn't super easy, but I was right--they retained their color.

Then I got the beet from the freezer. The skin was s-o-o-o easy to peel with the vegetable peeler! Much easier than the roasted beets. This one (large) beet was raw though, while the others were cooked. Would that make a difference in canning them?

I went online, looking for answers. And found none. Apparently every single recipe recommends the cooking, cooling, reheating method. So I decided that since the one beet wasn't cooked, I'd just add 10 minutes to the processing time. The pressure canner actually gets to about 240 degrees F, whereas boiling can only get to 212F, so I figured the extra ten minutes would compensate for the cooking time.

So pretty--but the liquid boiled out of the jars more than I'd like. Maybe the canner was too hot?
The beets came out fine. And given that they will be boiled for a few minutes before we eat them I think they're perfectly safe. What do you think?

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had your motivations in my garden...I am such a lazy gardener. I've done more gardening this year than I have in a few years but I still struggle with weeding...I never get it done & by August I usually give up on certain areas.

    A great experiment with the beets. Anytime I can find an easier way with a good result I try it....note my lazy comment above!

    I guess my lack of motivation is that I have so little free time at home anymore with babysitting a toddler 30 to 40 hours a week. So I'll enjoy the play time & let the work go this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I am gone so much of the time that I can barely keep up with the basics, Jenny. And if I had a toddler? I shudder to think! You have a fulltime job right there.

      Delete
  2. Do you ever make glazed beets? Some call them Harvard beets but no one really knows why. I like them cold, as a kind of sweet side dish or snack, but I buy them in a jar because I have no chance with root crops here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, we over wintered some of our leaks from last summer. We were able to use most of them this spring. Did you try leaving some leaks in the ground over winter?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...