Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Covid Journal, Days 109-110: Hot, Hot July 4th Flowers

Both mornings were cool, in the 60's. Both days hot and dry, in the low 90's.

No going out to celebrate the 4th this year, but we'll cook out later. And we had ice cream sundaes we put together with vanilla ice cream, maraschino cherries, banana slices and homemade chocolate sauce, so there's a celebration in itself! Usually I'm working anyway on this day, at our booth at the big annual flea market and at the Mountain State Arts & Crafts Fair, telling stories. So I'm actually enjoying this quieter holiday.

We're watering our gardens on a rotation schedule, one each morning, one in the evening, and so on for 4 gardens that need it. The planters and pots are getting watered every other day. This weather pattern looks to be in place until next weekend at least, so watering is a must. Picked the first zucchini today, and pulled the onions and spread them in a shed to dry.

Sadly, we lost one of the meat chickens last night. They all seemed to be doing fine, but this morning Larry found one poor little guy gone to this world. No reason we can see except this extraordinary heat. He has a fan in the chicken house, and keeps plenty of fresh water for them. We lost a laying hen last week, so we're down to 8 hens and 6 meat chicks. The meat chicks have 2 more weeks before it's time to dress them out; I hope we don't lose any more.

It's really too hot to do much outside. We get out early and do what's necessary. I have to rein Larry in, because he'd be out regardless, but I am hoping he'll get involved in some furniture projects and stay in during the hottest part of the day. He's about halfway finished putting the water pump on his truck and is itching to get it finished.

For me, staying in just means I actually get some housework done. Otherwise I leave it to last, after I've been outside all day, so it gets a lick and a promise. The spiders have taken advantage of my lack of attention, so I have some corners that need addressing!

I took my camera out again to take a few photos of what's in bloom. Flowers are a little scarce around here right now, as my little seedlings are trying mightily to grow, but there's a few things to keep some color going.

My sister Judy has the most amazing hydrangeas, but I have little luck with them. Our temperature extremes just kill them to the ground most years. But one little bush has a few blooms this year and I am ridiculously grateful for them.


The planter petunias are just rioting with color. I am watering them with a weak Miracle Gro solution every other day and they seem to thrive on it.


Daylilies are in bloom everywhere. I enjoy these tall orange beauties so much, and they require little care, thank goodness.


A planter of herbs--parsley, rosemary and sage.


This is the geranium I moved the other day so I could steal its big pot!


Little nasturtiums are coming along. I seriously had to lightly sand every seed--the package said to use a nail file on them to help them germinate easier, but I didn't have one. I did have sandpaper, however. Later I realized I could have used an emery board. Oh well. The sandpaper did the trick as all the seeds came up. I have them scattered about here and there, wherever I want some color.


More daylilies. I told you they were everywhere.


Bee balm looking lovely by the gazing ball.


These are boughten zinnias I got to plug in some color along the walk.


Vinca finally got planted in their own pot. I bought the pot from a friend last year, and intended to paint it black and sell it, but...


I don't know the name of this tall spiky salvia. It self-seeds every year.


Coneflowers also self-seed. You can see they're happy here with the iris...and whatever that other spiky looking plant is. Not sure about that one.


More daylilies ( and a favorite photo)


The cannas come up every year too. They're supposed to be dug up but we forget every fall. They seem to thrive on our forgetfulness.



The live-forever, or sedum, is looking so lush. It grows under a maple in a shady, dry location. Last year the deer leveled it. Hoping they stay away this year.


...and more daylilies...these are kinda wild, growing at the edge of the woods and mixed up with various weeds and wildflowers.


Feverfew is so cute, with its little daisy flowers. This is a perennial, and also self-seeds so I have a few younger ones scattered through the gardens.


More lilies. This one is a pretty peach color, catching a spot of sun in the evening.


I have fewer roses now than I've ever had. I will have to change that because I do love roses. This bush was a gift from my friend Tamara.


A mess is what this is, but I like it. Coneflower getting ready to open out, mixed up with lamb's ears and lemon balm. I just let them co-exist.


A pretty bud on the same bush as above.


Calendula, growing slowly but surely. They'll provide color (and salad garnish) right up to winter.


Larry was puzzled by this old rocker I stuck over by the yard swing. There's a method to my madness...


a baby forsythia I started in this spot last year. He mowed it down last year so the chair is providing protection!


That's about all I have in bloom right now. I wish I had some black-eyed susans and some butterfly weed, but if wishes were horses we'd all be riding!

Food diary: breakfast--wheat germ waffles, homemade blueberry syrup, sliced strawberries. Snack--ice cream sundae. Dinner: hot dogs on the grill, grilled zucchini, fried potatoes (less calories than potato salad, at least), baked beans. 

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

1 comment:

  1. You are surrounded by flowers! How marvelous. My red bee balm just started to bloom - three flowers, yesterday - and my treasured daylily by the driveway is blooming now, too. Everything seems to be happening so fast, and yet my veg gardens still looks like things just came up last week. I think the plants are in shock at discovering the quality of the soil they have to survive in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...