Pages

Monday, October 26, 2020

Covid Journal, Day 218: Pause, and the Elephant in the Room

50 and raining this morning, as it did most of the day yesterday. Cooler days and nights are forecast this week, with lots of showers, drizzle, etc. We are most surely turning toward November.

We have had to take a pause in our usual daily work. Larry took a fall in the chicken yard and has cracked three ribs. He stiff and sore all over, really, and has a few cuts and abrasions to go along with his other injuries. We spent most of yesterday at the VA hospital getting him checked out.

Which brings me to the elephant in the room: he fell because he'd been drinking. This has become a real trouble this past summer, as he seemed to want to drink every day. Alcohol affects his diabetes, making him get woozy and staggery very quickly. The problem, besides the drinking, is that he's sneaky about it, buying beer when we're out and hiding it somewhere in the van, or buying it when he goes out alone. Then he takes it to the garage or who knows where, and drinks without me knowing it. The next thing I know he's staggering around, and if I don't notice quickly enough, he's likely to fall. 

The falling is another problem, because it's very difficult for me to get him up. There's the danger of where he falls, too. Once by the stone hearth, which could have killed him. And this time in the chicken yard, where he must have laid for a while because I didn't know where he was. He'd gone out to feed the pigs at our neighbors, and was gone 3 hours--and it was dark. I had no idea where he'd got to until he finally came stumbling in. 

You can imagine the stress this causes me. And the stress on our marriage. Honestly, if I didn't love the man so much, I'd have been out the door and gone.  I didn't talk about it to others, because he got angry if I even suggested it, and promised over and over to quit. But I didn't believe him anymore, so the promises meant nothing to me, and apparently not to him either. 

Friday morning I called the VA and tried to talk to his doctor, but the nurse told me there was nothing I could do--he had to seek help himself. I was in tears when I heard that, because he didn't think he had a problem. But this last fall didn't just crack his ribs, it broke the camel's back. 

When we went to the VA hospital yesterday (where I was not allowed to go in with him because their last patient had tested positive for Covid, wasn't that great) I was again facing that wall of he-has-to-tell-them-but-he-won't. But they did let me inside to use the bathroom and as I came out, there was Larry with the doctor who was getting ready to take him back to the emergency room. So I shouted--yes, I shouted--"you'd better tell them the truth, or I will leave you here! Tell them you were drinking!" I'm not really proud of that, but I was at my wit's end. And yes, I would have left him there if he didn't tell the truth. Because I was literally at the end of my rope with him.

i waited in the van for over 3 hours. But it was worth it because he did tell them (Well, what choice did he have after that?). Now he has instructions for care of those poor ribs, and an appointment with his doctor. And a screening for alcoholism. 

So maybe in the end, all the drama and stress of the past weekend was worth it. He will get, I hope, the help he needs, and I feel like someone is at least listening, someone is sharing my burden.

I don't usually post such personal things on this blog, but this time I think it's important for several reasons. First because you all are my friends, and many of you have also shared some painful experiences in your life. And second, to encourage anyone else going through something similar to keep trying to find help. I should have started looking and speaking out years ago--this wasn't a new problem, it's been developing off and on for years. I guess I have a new learning curve ahead of me, too, as I learn the right tools to cope with this and to support Larry as he moves forward.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing and for being so brave to call your husband out on this - you may have just saved his life. I've been drinking too much, too constantly as well. Thanks for the vicarious kick in the pants. Good luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good luck to us all indeed. Will be thinking of you and rooting you on to make the changes you feel you need. Stay in touch.

      Delete
  2. Sue, what a burden you have been carrying. My heart hurts for your hurt. Thank you for sharing. I will pray for Larry's healing and for your strength and support from your family. Also, may Larry's ribs heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nance. You've been a reader long enough to know what a good man and hard worker he is. Now, if he can just put his energy to getting this straightened out.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, what a good man! Always working and building and improving.

      There but for the Grace, go I. 💌

      Delete
  3. been there done that..lotza heartache..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sue, I have not walked through this personally but I have walked through this with my dearest friend. She & I are more than sisters....I love her more than my own family.

    And as close as we've been for over 30 yrs I did not know about it for a very long time because he would make her swear not to tell me. So finally, she left to stay with her sister one night because it was so bad. Her sister convinced her to tell me & from that point on I witnessed it all. I am so glad she finally opened up because she needed the support of those who love her.

    And so do you! Do just as my friend has....let him know you will not hide it for him anymore. You will be honest with family & friends about it.

    Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have good friends and family--who also love him--and that he is not a "mean" drunk. Two beers, though, put him over the edge now because of the diabetes. That's scary.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about Larry's fall. I hope he recovers from the broken ribs and gets the help he needs for the other issues. Good luck to the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. He's a good man, with a problem. I hope and pray we get it worked out before he really hurts himself badly.

      Delete
  6. A brave post to write. I sincerely hope you find that the ultimatum at the hospital brings about a change. Cracked ribs are no fun at all, so he will need your help right now (or somebody's help). We all have our issues that we keep private. You're allowed, but you're also allowed to reveal. Take care. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I express myself better in writing, Jenn, so writing it here is better for me than trying to talk to family about it. And having raised sons I tend to be pretty direct and to the point. I love this old man, just want this one thing to get fixed.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing. Many alcoholics in my family and many recovered alcoholics. Some on their own and some with the help of programs. I suggest Alanon for you if you might be interested. It can help. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gives me hope. I *think* he is more of an alcohol abuser than an alcoholic, but the VA can determine that, and then we'll know our next steps.

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your husband's fall. Sorry about the alcoholism...I have discovered that it takes so much to get one to admit...and then a long time for the drinking to stop-some never do. There are prayers for you and Larry and HOPE...I am sorry you are living through this. Thank you for your blog-the first one I ever read and still one of my favorites. Prayers prayers prayers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. We've had a good week. Now to keep him on the straight and narrow until his VA appointment. He's a good man, hardworking and not abusive, just this one thing. With God's help, we'll get through it.

      Delete
  9. So sorry to read that, Sue. Love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending hugs to you. It is a difficult road for sure. Praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's tough, Sue. You know you and Larry have our love, support and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Granny, first thanks for sharing! It was brave of you to be the first to bring it up. My first husband denied he had a problem. After 20 years, I left with the girls. Shortly after he got a DUI. He still denied he had a problem.

    Back then (1990) women were told to keep the family together no matter what...for the children's sake. That was a big mistake for me. My gut told me it was harmful for the children and, looking back I know that was true.

    I hope all women in this type of situation will choose to stay or go for their own reasons, and not due to pressure from the community. I pray you will thrive one way or the other, the important thing is you are facing the problem and bringing it into the open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words, and for sharing your experience. Fortunately, he's not abusive to me at all, just a happy type of drinker. But the passing out is scary and he needs to let the booze go. We've had a good week, so trying to keep that going til his VA appt. Then we'll know next steps.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...