Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

A Porchful of Greenhouses

Forgot to check the temperature this morning, but it was chilly and wet. I think around 49. Showers all morning, breaking in the evening to sun and a few clouds.

So this is what the deck looks like these days.





I had the two smaller greenhouses from last year and added the larger one this year. Surprisingly, it holds less than the small ones, and isn't nearly as sturdy. I don't know if I'll keep it--may just buy two more small ones. We talked about building another greenhouse, but honestly these are so easy to put up and to care for, I think I'd prefer to just have four of them and forget having anything bigger. 

They are all pretty much full, almost all tomatoes and peppers with a few herbs and flowers. All my plants are far behind where they should be, but given this cold, wet spring maybe that's just as well. They'll be ready by June, at least, which for the zone we're in is just fine. Our veggies will just be a little later than usual. At least we have some tomato plants in the ground, bigger ones we bought, and also a few squash and cucumber plants. The kale, beets, spinach, and onions we put in in March are doing okay, although Larry tilled up my carrots. He can't quite grasp the concept of mulch and planting closer together and still wants to keep everything in orderly rows. Maybe one day he'll understand what I want to do. In the meantime, I'll keep working on it. He's a great hand in the garden, so I can't complain.

I've been mostly working on the flowerbeds this week, in between rain. And also the planters. I have a lot of weeding to catch up, but got the stringtrimming done and tonight did the flamethrower to burn up weeds in unwanted places. The gill-over-the-ground is as ever the most obnoxious weed we have, and I will have some work to do once again to get it all pulled. 

But the flowerbeds look amazing. I will try to get photos tomorrow. The iris are ready to burst into bloom and there are many, many buds on them. All the plants look so healthy. So the March fertilizing and all this rain have both probably contributed to that. I will remember to do that early fertilizing with bone meal and blood meal again next year. 

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...