Pages

Monday, November 28, 2022

The West Virginia Culture Center

42 this morning, cloudy and damp but no rain. The roofers arrived early and finished up mid-afternoon---I thought it was supposed to rain, so wasn't expecting them, but I am grateful to have the job done before more rain arrives later in the week.

So, back to Saturday's adventures. After our visit to the renovated library, we pressed on to the State Capitol Complex. I must say, we do have a beautiful Capitol building, and the grounds are lovely too. The complex is located on the banks of the Great Kanawha River and is deeply shaded by many mature oaks and other trees.

The museum was another completely renovated public area, and I had not yet visited it since it was redone,  although Larry had. I was curious to see how it had changed.

But first, the lobby of the building. Nutcrackers! Of every size and description! It must be someone's personal collection, although I saw no sign indicating ownership. I took only a couple photos of the many, many nutcrackers on display. I guess I was too overwhelmed by them all!



Another pleasant surprise was running into 2 ladies who worked at the library when I did. Lora and Olivia are both children's librarians, and I had supervised both of them at one time or another. We had a lively catching up conversation,  and I was reminded of how many good people I had worked with over the years. 

Then the museum. The layout is intriguing, set up as a maze or labyrinth that started with the state's earliest known history and tracing its development along a winding trail through many excellent displays. Brass plates in the floor noted the passing years. There were intriguing special effects, like talking portraits on the walls, an area that duplicated a coal mine, etc. Best to show you my photos so you can see for yourself.


A sculpture honoring coal miners, outside the museum.


You know I would be looking at glass. I must admit,  I was disappointed that there was not an exhibit highlighting the huge glass industry in the state in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There were over 400 glass towns in the state!  But although there were bits and pieces of that history in the exhibits, there was no real focus on it, as there was on coal, logging, and railroads. Unless I missed it somehow?


I was intrigued by this display of pottery that was depicted in an exhibit about pioneer cabins. The brown bowl in the center is very like my old chipped jug. I need to find out who made it, but it must be quite old to have been displayed as part of a late 1700s--early 1800s cabin.


The "entrance" to a railroad tunnel simulation


An early 20th century kitchen. We enjoyed identifying things we have and still use in our kitchen.


The portal into a coal mine display.

Inside the display.


This huge urn held aquamarine dye at a chemical plant. It amazes me that it survived intact.





A beautifully preserved soda fountain from Scott Drug Store, once located in Charleston.


I loved this. Doesn't it look like you are going to walk right up on the bridge? But in fact it is a mural on the wall that extends down to the floor.


Larry spent a long time in the area honoring state military history. This is the kind of uniform he wore in Vietnam. 

Another beautiful mural, this one of the New River Gorge Bridge.

Back outside, we watched this black squirrel busy burying nuts. Then we were surprised when a cigarette button dropped out of the tree! A smoking squirrel up there? 


3 comments:

  1. Great museum pics...love those nut crackers, and it looks like your hubby was trying to mimic one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the nutcrackers are really very tall when your hubby stands beside them. Great pics of a beautiful museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting place to visit! I would have enjoyed the kitchen display for sure. And that vat! It's a good thing you had Larry there for scale :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...