Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Just a Day in December

23f this morning, clear with a heavy frost.


Brrrr. It is downright chilly out there, friends. But Buddy and I are cozy by the stove this morning while Larry, as usual,  is sleeping in. I swear the man can sleep 24 hours if left to do it. While I find myself waking up earlier and earlier, with no chance of diving back into sleep. So up I get, turn on a few lights, make my tea, and watch the day arrive.


There is a very bright star in the morning sky right now...well, not a star but Venus. It stayed visible long after daylight today. You may have to embiggen my photo to see it.


Yesterday I did something I haven't done in about 45 years: I made hard candy. I have no idea why, as I was reading my book, I suddenly was hit by the urge to make candy, but that's what happened. It was fun! I made cinnamon since that was the flavoring I had on hand.

All jarred up in some nice littlebjars I found at a thrift the other day, and ready for gifting.

Yesterday was that kind of day, just moving from one small thing to another. I finished painting a china cabinet so it is finally ready for the booth, and Larry cleaned up 6 chairs and delivered them to a friend for her to paint, re-cover the seats, and use in her restaurant.  Since we didn't have to do all that work we sold them for a very low price, which saved both us (less work and materials) and her (low price, and she had the supplies to redo them on hand). Win-win.

I did a little rambling out in the gardens, picking this and that for a couple arrangements. It felt good to just wander around, seeing how everything is doing. I need to get out there and finish cleaning up, perhaps this weekend when it will be warmer.




Leaving you today with this little video of the birds on the pinecone feeder my sister Theresa made. They sure like it.




Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

6 comments:

  1. I love a puttering approach to little tasks, and at the moment, it's about all I can handle in terms of cleaning or other housework, which reached Hugely Overwhelming stage back in August when I was practically living in the barn. This week I've started trying to set a timer for an hour every day and just putter in the house - surely if I keep going the results will add up? I hope so. Yesterday I spent 45 minutes JUST scrubbing the outside of my back door - something I think about doing every single time I walk into the house, so you can imagine how good it felt to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those little jars that you found, they are very useful. Nice video of the little bird at the pinecone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all the work you do around your place I'm surprised it's not YOU that sleeps around the clock. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect day! Kathy near Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I love a good night's sleep, Id much rather have your version of a morning, peaceful, quite, just greeting the day, watching the sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sleep something like you, and Sue more like Larry. We just found some homemade hard candy yesterday, but none of the old fashioned ribbon type.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...