Pages

Friday, December 22, 2023

Welcome Winter!

26f and overcast.

Last night's moon at 10:32m EST, the exact time of Solstice.


Inside the house...


and through the windows.

 
It was a lovely Solstice Watch.


And now, hello Winter! Although truth be told I think the old Celtic calendar is more accurate, with winter beginning November 1, and Spring beginning February 1. Because, at least in my area, the darkness of November, and the general grayness, is much more wintry than February,  when the days are longer, crocus blooms, and other bulbs are sticking up their leaves.

So, today we must finish our Christmas shopping.  I don't know about you, but I find men so difficult to buy for--and this coming from a woman with 5 sons! I have managed to get my sons covered, but now have a brother-in-law and a friend to buy for. What to get??? Well, there is a new "man-cave" store in our little town, so perhaps a stop in there will yield ideas.

I am pretty sure that wherever we go there will be Christmas music playing. I am one of the odd ones that loves most Christmas music. Not the newer, country-music-or-rock-and-roll-star versions that strain to make the songs their "own", but the more traditional choirs and orchestra versions. And the Bing Crosby, etc of older times. 

Are you a lover of this music, or do you get burned out with it? When I was storytelling, one of my favorite presentations was the Carols program that I presented with various musician friends. I dove into the history and folklore of each song we shared, as well as general lore and superstitions around holiday greens and traditions. It was such fun to share singing and music with audiences that usually ranged in age from 2 to 92. 

I do miss it, I must admit. That program really deepened my appreciation of the carols, especially ones that are seldom heard these days, like Down in Yon Forest, The Huron Carol, many others. 

Not having TV service definitely limits the saturation factor when it comes to holidays, and we don't shopn in big box stores either. So we never feel jaded about Christmas. Thank goodness for that.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

9 comments:

  1. I too like the Christmas songs of old. Bing Crosby singing White Christmas still stirs me. But times change and so does music. Thank goodness we seniors can relish the past in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch White Christmas every year, such a good movie. And the dancing! Yes, I am glad we can still access the music we like. I have to admit, though, I kinda like Cher's new Christmas song. But then she's a Golden Oldie herself!

      Delete
  2. Your solstice fixin's look just right! I also like lots of the older music, but also like hearing the hymn type songs, not just Rudolf (bless his red little nose, I'm quite tired of it)...and just found that Joy to the World was written fairly recently. Anyway, give me some Angels singing on high! And a Little Town of Bethlehem, with Good King Winceseslas (however it's spelled.) Have fun with your last 'man' purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Those are the carols I grew up with.

      Delete
  3. I like jazz, blues kind of X'mas songs. Country is fine too. Have a wonderful holiday celebration, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We embrace Christmas from the day after Thanksgiving to December 26th. Music, decorations, all things Christmas. Whether it is just the two of us or we are with family or friends, it is a special time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you do the Solstice.

    I figure that meteorological winter for us goes from maybe mid-November to mid-March. It's a long time.

    The carols are the best Christmas music for me, at least when I happen to catch them, whish isn't often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you've recovered from the bug that had you a couple of posts ago! (I'm speedreading through blog posts this morning ;)
    I've got books to wrap for my Occasional Helper's children, and a little something for their parents, but other than that I have very little preparation to do for the holidays this year. I sent only seven cards this year, ordered specially from Scotland, so I had to be rigorous in my recipient selection! For Christmas Day there will be double sunflower rations for the Wilds, the cats have little food treats, the hens will have an apple, and the goats will all have extra carrot pennies AND apple slices, even though I rather suspect they are pagans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here we just get the "stupid" songs, not the beautiful classic ones.
    When Mom was still there ... I would now pack some pressies and sure have Chris Rea´s "Driving Home For Christmas" on.
    No Mom, no car, but... that is life!
    Ingo is making goose today, like my Mom did and I will a) call my Brother and b) listen to that song via YouTube.
    With that, have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...