Pages

Friday, August 16, 2024

Bits and Pieces

67°f at 7am, about 19°C, with light showers that soon ended, sadly. More rain expected later (100% chance) but I don't trust the forecast any more.

The morning bird chorus is much quieter these days. I suppose nesting season is pretty much over. This morning's choir included Eastern Peewee, Northern Cardinal, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Mourning Dove, and Nuthatch.

Some random photos that I don't think I have posted yet:

Not our biggest yellow tomato, but the biggest i remembered to take a picture of.


Grandson Jared in my kitchen. He is having a blast in Bali. Joining Nicole's FFO for the first time with this photo.


Already changing color.


The "estrogen jam" at Clifftop music festival. I borrowed this video from a friend.


Taken at the Yellow Butterfly winery in Ohio a few weeks ago. Beautiful place,but the wine, not so much.


As I write this, there are 2 small airplanes buzzing around our skies,  flying very close together. This is odd because we don't see much air traffic here. They are not military; we do occasionally have jets from the Air National Guard unit in Charleston skimming over, very fast. And once in a while a C-130 cargo plane, but these two this morning are not jets. So who are they? A puzzle to ponder as I drink my morning coffee.

Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

25 comments:

  1. That jam looks awesome. What a great crowd. I think I would like Appalachian music very much because I do like the Celtic sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ues, the music is very similar to Celtics. I enjoy both.

      Delete
  2. Great tomato, and glad you're staying in contact with grandson in Bali. What an adventure! The jam session had so many stringed instruments, it was amazing. Don't have a clue about the planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was all women in that jam, just so cool.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh that tomato!!!!! I can't grow them here on the cold coast I live on. Wonderful photo of your grandson too. Summer just doesn't last long enough. Butterflies are always a welcome sight and that video was awesome. Thank you for joining FFO and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go through withdrawal if I couldn't grow tomatoes. :)

      Delete
  4. So happy to hear the Bali adventure is going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a giant tomato! Beautiful butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good tomato!
    Our birds seem quiet in the morning now. It's nice to hear and watch the swallows and martens feeding later on

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...that swallowtail is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Among the birds sounds, we also hear cicadas. There's not a big emergence that happens every 13 or 17 years, but there are ones that come out every year or two that seem to be just as loud. As for bird watching, we've been watching crows pick entire pears from our pear tree and fly away with them. This is the first year we have seen them do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know crows would do that either, but given this weather I guess the wild critters are eating whatever they can find.

      Delete
  9. I always look for the first trees to change colour. Usually it's a vine maple. Haven't seen any so far.
    I see Canada Geese flying over in a southerly direction but I think they come back again to the lake in the evening. Far too many stay here all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of vine maple! Must look that up.

      Delete
  10. Your yellow tomato is awesome! And I'm amazed at how all those musicians stayed together musically all through that song. What a treat to hear and see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the musicians just hung right in there. I spied my friend Mel in the group, grinning and loving it.

      Delete
  11. That is some tomato - and not your biggest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No change of color here in North Idaho.
    Took part in FFO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I was in Idaho once, staying a week with a friend in Moscow. We drove around a bit. Beautiful state!

      Delete
  13. Eastern Peter! Now there’s a new species, probably courtesy of auto correct. It’s probably identical to Eastern Phoebe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops, missed that. It was actually Eastern Peewee. I need to correct the autocorrect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coveting your bird chorus. I have grackle squawking to the exclusion of much else. Except hummers, that chitter.
    Hope you get your rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...