Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Sunday Randoms

70°f and cloudy but once again no rain.

Dry, dry, dry. There will be no second cutting of hay. Neighbors are already feeding hay. Although we got no rain, last night's sunset, captured by a neighbor in this photo, was pretty spectacular. 


Not much going on today. I made peach jam with the rest of the peaches, continued pricing stuff for the booths, and started organizing the hardware I will be taking to the booth. Larry brushhogged the early corn patch and over the potatoes,  which he will dig tomorrow.

Had a nice chat with oldest son, who has returned from his mountain-hiking trip out West with his two adult kids. They had a great time,  good weather and it was only 122°f when they drove across Death Valley. Only. Sheesh. Here the grandkids looking very much the mountaineers  


They hiked 88 miles in 6 days, through some pretty rugged country. 

I promised Angie I would post the dilly beans recipe, so here it is. These are really tasty.


It's grandson James' birthday today; he's 23, and second to the youngest of our grandchildren. Tomorrowvis my sister Maggie's birthday, then grandson Jared on the 21st, brother Joe on the 23rd, brother John on the 30th and sister Cathy on the 31st. Seems like I might have missed one in there somewhere! Granddaughter Beth's birthday was the 13th, so it is a busy month for family birthdays. September is almost the same.

In other news, this guy is running around Logan County, WV, about 70+ miles from here.


My friend Trinny took this photo. No one has a clue where he came from, or where he might want to go. It's a long way from Logan to Australia.

When we stopped at the store yesterday, this gorgeous Mustang pulled up and drew a small crowd. According to the guy in the photo, it had been rolled, and he restored it. Amazing job. I loved the way he just stopped right in the traffic lane and got out to talk! No one minded. They were all too busy admiring the car.



You know solar energy is becoming mainstream when these show up at our Goodwill:

Closing with this, posted by a friend on Facebook. Sure made me chuckle.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

13 comments:

  1. We were desperate for rain, then last week on Tuesday it rained all day and I was fed up by the end of the day! Laughed at the on line form for registering a death!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sue, for the recipe :-)) Have never in my life had a pickled bean...even when I still ate lots of vegetables...always fresh one. I actually can even count how many picked cucumber I have ever eaten. I guess any type of green beans will do? That sunset looks spectacular! Finger crossed that you get some rain soon. The rain here just stopped...we will have a slightly sunny day...for a couple of hours at least, but the temperature stays between 17C-22C. Might get better in a couple of days..Have a most wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where the heck did that roo come from?!?! 88 miles? That is awesome, I would love to hike that area and in my head, feel like I could do it. Reality is probably another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...that mustang is a bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's bad if they are already feeding hay. Maybe if will be a rainy fall. One can hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A kangaroo? Oh my goodness. And you have me beat on family birthdays in August! So sorry it's so dry there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is heaps of Birthdays!!!
    And the roo, LOL.
    Well, I hope we can decide, if in trouble,if we want to "go"... In Germany so far you can´t.
    Hope you get some rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a car guy, but there is something special about Mustangs, and the older the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are still on opposite ends of the same grim weather situation. We're having a few hours of Not Raining this morning, but the world is saturated, dripping, and deeply muddy/mucky. Standing water in paddocks and some of the goats aren't even bothering to come out of their shelters. Rain is expected to start again shortly, with flash flood warnings this afternoon. I am trying very, very hard to focus on positives, which I am usually quite good at doing, but my gosh, I realize how fine I'm cutting it when every little "just one more thing" going wrong makes me feel like weeping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kangaroo made me laugh. We have an alligator in Lake Erie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first looked at the picture of the kangaroo I thought it was a joke. I guess it's not. Let us know if you find out where in the world he came from.
    We love pickled beans. Now my grown sons have taken over making them ( often in MY kitchen using MY quart jars LOL).
    Hopefully the pole beans will produce lots.
    You certainly have a lot of birthdays in August!!! Here there's only one (mine) coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought it was interesting that you followed that sunset picture with your comments about making peach jam! And surely a zoo somewhere must be missing their kangaroo. I can't imagine it as a house pet who strayed (or hopped) away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Think I’ll wait a while before I apply for my own death certificate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...