Pages

Friday, August 3, 2007

On the Road: Day 4 and 5 , Fauquier, Lost River and Rest


A young listener at a library in Fauquier County poses in the miner's hardhat. A good turnout of about 40 or 50 people of all ages attended and were very interested in the coal mining items in my display.



On the road to my sister Judy's home in Hardy County, WV. It will always be amazing to me that no matter where in the state I travel, the scenery is breathtaking. I have to stop and take pictures because I don't have words to describe what I see.


High-flying crow in Hardy County. I was on Big Ridge Road when I spotted this glider.

Judy runs the stables at Lost River, and has recently started her own blog.

The sulphur springs at Lost River State Park. Although no longer in use, the spring is a beautiful spot rich in history. West Virginia has many such springs that were popular vacation spots in the 1700's and 1800's for those seeking the supposed curing powers of the waters. Did they work? I don't know, but I can imagine that simply soaking in the water in this peaceful place would certainly be restorative to the spirit.


The Lighthorse Harry Lee log cabin at Lost River. Lighthorse Harry owned the park property after the Revolutionary War and it stayed in the lee family for many years. The cabin is maintained by the park system and tours are offered.








Telling tales in the activities center at Lost River. The buildings at the park were for the most part constructed by the CCC in the 1930's. Many of the cabins are log, with stone fireplaces, porches and old latch doors.



And finally, a day of rest on Sunday! I left Judy's to drive to Virginia for more storytelling and a quick visit with son Jon and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...